Center for Human Services
Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, the Center for Human Services, the nonprofit 501(c) 3, affiliate of University Research Co. LLC, is a community-based leader in public health promotion, language acquisition, and adult education. CHS began providing educational and health related services to the migrant community in south central Pennsylvania in 1984. In addition, CHS has provided health promotion and educational services to the migrant community and other underserved populations in southern New Jersey since1988.
CHS’ mission is to work with communities to meet today’s challenges and take advantage of tomorrow’s opportunities by improving the quality of and access to health, educational, and social services for those most in need in the US and around the world. Please join us in carrying out our mission ( http://www.chs-urc.org ).
Division & Project Overview
The US-based Health, Education, and Training Division is home to projects funded through Center for Human Services and it’s for-profit affiliate, University Research Co., LLC. The ESL Instructor Aide is being hired under CHS to support the delivery of ESL and ESL Civics instruction to adult students of various nationalities who do not have or who have limited English-language proficiency.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the ESL/ESL Civics Instructional Program Coordinator, the ESL/ESL Civics Instructor Aide will:
- Assist students, individually or in groups, with lessons and assignments for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Implement, under the supervision of the instructors, lesson plans for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Implement the instructional program and lesson plans during the instructor’s absence.
- Monitor individual and/or groups of students for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Perform general administrative tasks (e.g. making copies, posting on bulletin boards, setting up audio/visual equipment, etc. for the purpose of helping the instructor get instructional materials ready).
- Attend professional development meetings for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
- Observe students in the classroom and confer with instructor on their progress.
- Examine lesson plans prepared by the instructor and anticipates the need for specific supplies and materials.
- Assist the instructor in the enforcement of CHS policies.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding school/workplace matters.
- Adhere to and implement CHS policies and procedures.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- AA in Education or Education major who has completed two years of study at an institution of higher learning
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Ability to determine, judge and select an appropriate course of action within limits of established procedures
- Ability to interact with adult students in an effective manner
- Interpersonal skills that will facilitate the development of positive relationships with students, staff, administration, and the community
- Basic computer literacy, to include keyboarding skills
- Perform a variety of work involving use of independent judgment, accuracy, speed, and confidentiality
- Ability to plan and organize.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Ability to demonstrate respect for cultural practices
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers .
Please cut and paste your cover letter and upload your CV where indicated.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
In the U.S., URC is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of the American people by addressing health and related social...