ESL Instructor - Part-time Adjunct Pool
Kern Community College District
This is for an adjunct pool that will be used to staff part-time adjunct positions for the 2013-2014 and/or 2014-2015 academic years.
Duties may consist of assignments in the fall and/or spring semesters as well as the program’s extended summer session.
The successful applicant will be expected to provide credit and non-credit instruction in a full range of English as a Second Language courses.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; assessment of program learning outcomes; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Sick Leave Only
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as specified by contract or assignment in a diverse campus and community environment.
• Maintain a course outline for each assigned course.
• Keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and scholastic progress.
• Participate in the development and revision of curriculum.
• Provide current course orientation materials including syllabus to each student.
• Use media aids, the library and other resources as appropriate.
• Maintain currency in subject matter.
• Communicate with students and staff in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate versatility in instructional methodology and versatility in serving a diverse student population.
• Be familiar with and observe appropriate board policies and contractual agreements.
• Have the ability to work effectively and harmoniously with students, colleagues, and others.
• Understand the advantages and challenges of providing ESL instruction in a small, rural community college.
• Have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Have the ability to deliver instruction using strategies designed for diverse learning styles.
• Have the ability to design learning objectives and assess learning outcomes.
• Be willing to work with students who have a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals, as well as cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis
Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Master’s degree in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech, or any foreign language
The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
- A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Position Number: 00716
Posting Date: 03/12/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Part-Time Academic
Rate: $60.00 per hour/Instructional
Work Week: Flexible, as needed
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Copies of legible transcripts
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3381
BlacksinHigherEd.com - 21 months ago