From coast to coast, Rural/Metro employees are tied together by their overwhelming desire to help others. Every day and every call for our team of highly-trained professionals is different than the one before.
At Rural/Metro, we celebrate the successes of our team members, and doing the right thing for those we serve.
Rural/Metro is a leader in private ambulance and fire protection services in 21 states and more than 700 communities nationwide. Rural/Metro has provided high-quality patient care, met and exceeded the expectations of the communities we serve, and invested in the success of our employees since 1948.
Act as a trusted advisor and trainer to leaders, managers and employees in utilizing HR programs, policies, and resources to effectively manage employees. Responsibilities have emphasis on employee and labor relations, performance management, training and organizational development and policy development/interpretation.
Management of Zone HR Staff
Government and Company Compliance
- Supervision of all HR staff in assigned zone
- Responsible for management of the department budget
- Oversees the recruitment and training of all new HR personnel within the Zone
- Performance management of all HR personnel including, reviews, corrective action, mentoring, development plans, maintenance of personnel files, and performance improvement plans
- Develops, communicates and administers various human resources plans and procedures for all employees
- Active participant in the Policy Committee which requires the Zone HR Manager to review all drafts, communication with leaders within the Zone, consolidate feedback and provide it to Corporate within the timeline and effectively communicate policies throughout the Zone.
- Assists the divisional HR representative with critical ER, labor relations, payroll, benefits and other escalated issues
- Reviews and approve all terminations within the Zone to mitigate legal issues.
- Communicate and review defined HR Metrics within the assigned zone – driving to improve results.
- Ensures an annual review of the Employee Handbook and Harassment Training at each location.
- Leads and trains Zone HR group to conduct Supervisory Training at each location.
- Serves as liaison within the zone on benefit and wellness communications
Recruiting, Orientation, and Retention
- Audits all divisions to ensure certification controls are in place and no employee is working without the required certification for their position
- Compiles monthly reports measuring unemployment, worker compensation, leave of absence, and CIA training progress towards zone goals
- Conducts divisional HR compliance audits and file reviews
- Measurement and execution of CIA, OSHA, and other company, state, and federal specific training/requirements
- Responsible for the completion of the zone and divisional government compliance binder and tracking progress towards placement goals
Employee and Labor Relations
- Accountable driving full employment initiatives throughout the assigned zone
- Partners with the division general managers and local HR representatives to create and execute strategic staffing plans for the zone and division
- Reviews Applicant Tracking Reports on a weekly basis to determine positions within the Zone that should be a focus for recruiting activity
- Works with corporate, zone leadership, and divisional staff to ensure a high level of HR support and coordinates recruiting activity during new business site openings
- Ensures each operation delivers a high energy employer of choice employee orientation program complete with all company and local required protocols, polices, and procedures
- Works with leadership to create and implement programs to attract, motivate and retain our talented and diverse employees
- Reviews Zone Exit Interview Reports and Turnover Reports monthly and follows up as appropriate.
- Analyzes retention issues and make corresponding recommendations regarding training, benefits, compensation, etc.
- Strives to attract and keep the most capable and skilled people, regardless of age, race, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability or religion
- Conducts regular meetings with Managers and Directors to discuss staff development and issues.
- Incorporates the use of small employee group meetings or town hall meetings in the zone to solicit feedback and ideas from employees
Performance Management and Compensation Review
- Participates in and serves as a company representative during union negotiations, labor arbitrations and mediations, and all labor relations dispute resolution
- Coordinates and participates with leaders and managers and Corporate staff in investigating and processing employee complaints, Hotline calls, and claims or charges of discrimination
- Demonstrates strong facilitation skills in investigating, analyzing, and solving a myriad of complex employee relation issues.
- Provides guidance to clients on a wide variety of employee relation's issues.
- Reviews all zone labor grievances before the company agrees to binding arbitration or mediation.
- Provides advice and counsel to the Zone Vice President, Division General Managers, and Divisional HR representatives regarding personnel practices, policy, and employment laws
- Works with Corporate HR to create policies and procedures as needed
- Assists the business team in implementating ongoing performance metrics and development actions for the organization.
- Partners with legal and corporate HR responding to HR related agency concerns/complaints
Organizational Development and Training
- Ensures performance reviews are completed within the timeline throughout the zone
- Ensures that goals are established for manager level and above within the zone
- Maintains contract compliance for all union pay increases and review cycles
- Reviews and drafts performance improvement plans for zone and divisional personnel that are not meeting performance expectations
- Is responsible for reviewing performance reviews and merit increases with the Zone to ensure consistency and corporate strategies are being followed.
- Ensures union and non-union merit increases fall within contract and company pay guidelines
- Writes job descriptions and submits them to the Compensation Team for job grade and salary range assignment.
- Ensures complete and accurate job descriptions are on file for zone
- Partners with zone managers to process all promotion and demotions accurately adjusting pay per the company guidelines
- Ensures that pay is consistently linked to performance and productivity
- Partners with the zone VP in conducting zone and divisional succession planning meetings
- Helps zone management identify and create development plans for all promotable employee's within the zone
- Responsible for all zone management staffs completion of company standard position based training
- Execution of company management feedback surveys (employer of choice survey)
- Works with the zone VP to ensure training is completed for all corporate programs and polices
- Assists the local HR and training department with locating company resources for any new required company or contract training requirement
- Reviews paperwork for accuracy and correct process.
- Must participate in scheduled and unscheduled onsite compliance audits.
- Implements corrective/preventive measures as determined by the Corporate Compliance/Audit Committee.
- Cooperates with Internal Audit, Compliance and HR on any recommendations and changes to compliance and legal workflow issues.
- Takes swift and immediate action in accordance with Internal Audit and Corporate Compliance on any areas of concern.
- Complies and enforces all policies and procedures.
- Has successfully completed all required Compliance Training within the required time period.
- Has had no compliance related corrective action during the current review period.
- 5 years of HR management experience, Multi-unit or state experience in a healthcare setting preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of Human Resources experience, with a focus on Employee Relations/Labor Relations preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Human Resources Management and supervision in a union environment
- Ability to prepare written reports and correspondences
- Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws, labor laws, governmental compliance requirements, and immigration laws
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships internally and externally
- Culture/Change management experience preferred
- Up to 50% travel required
- BA/MA in Human Resources Management or similar field of study
- PHR or SPHR certified preferred
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Rural/Metro is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.
Rural/Metro Corporation (Rural/Metro) is a private fire protection services business providing services to residential and commercial...