Education Center Director - Mary Hull/Westwood |
Family Service Association
The Education Center Director is responsible for the day to day operations of their assigned Head Start Center. Functions include maintaining compliance with Head Start licensing regulations and agency policies as related to, but not limited to, supervising staff, child health and safety, nutrition, and parent volunteer program.
Sets and achieves challenging goals. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
Education/Training/Certifications/Licenses and Experience
- Supervise and provide oversight of day-to-day operations of assigned Head Start Center to ensure operations conform to Head Start regulations, licensing, agency policies and procedures. Identify service gaps and/or duplication in services to facilitate a well-coordinated service delivery system within the Head Start program and throughout the agency to include:
- Has oversight of learning experiences that advance the intellectual and physical development of children, including improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy, phonemic, and print awareness, their understanding and use of language, their understanding and use of increasingly complex and varied vocabulary, their appreciation of books, the understanding of early math and early science, their problem-solving abilities, and their approaches to learning.
- Establishing and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment;
- Supporting the social and emotional development of children; and
- Encouraging the involvement of the families of the children in a Head Start program and supporting the development of relationships between children and their families.
- Supervise the recruitment, interviewing, training and placement of Head Start volunteers, and the identification and recruitment of Head Start enrollment and participation.
- Work with senior management and staff to establish, review and align agencys program and operating policies, to facilitate coordination of functions and operations between departments, and to establish responsibilities and procedures for attaining objectives, insuring that they meet agency policy, accreditation standards and contractual standards as appropriate.
- Provide leadership to staff to ensure the coordination and effective use of resources to accomplish the various programs and agencys stated goals and objectives, and infrastructure needs to include, but not limited to:
- Accountability responsibilities (i.e. activity or service reports and documentation, approval of time sheets, travel, requests for paid time off, and conference registrations),
- Conducting individual development plans and performance appraisals,
- Structuring staff development training and providing coaching for on-going development.
- Managing the collection of data and service questionnaires/surveys and the completion of data and contractual tracking through the data management system and/or other tracking systems required by contract or agency needs correctly and on time.
- Prioritize workload, manage time, and meet multiple deadlines with minimal supervision
- Maintain a working environment which encourages mutual respect, promotes respectful and congenial relationships between employees and is free from all forms of harassment.
- Serve as an ambassador in supporting and contributing to healthy and productive communication throughout the agency with clients, staff and stakeholders including:
- Communicate the rationale, methodology, and goals of the agency and Head Start program to community groups and organizations through written materials, oral presentations and media appearances; and participation in multi-agency coordination and collaboration activities focusing on culturally sensitive customer service.
- Assisting to identify and secure funds that enhance and expand program implementation efforts and overall development of Head Start services.
- Perform additional duties as assigned in accordance with the agencys team philosophy and supporting the organizational goals.
Knowledge and Skills
- Associates degree in early childhood education or in a related field and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education; or Bachelors Degree or advanced degree in early childhood education or: A Bachelors degree and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education, and that at least 18 of college credit hours have been earned in early childhood education.
- Ability to obtain State of Texas Center Director certification - required within 90 days of employment
- Ability to obtain Class Reliability within one year.
- Previous experience teaching preschool-age children preferred.
- Previous supervision experience required preferred.
- Six hours business management education.
- Experience in collaborative relationships, organization and planning.
- Current State of Texas vehicle operators license and proof of liability insurance.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) desirable.
Insperity - 10 months ago