This is a SEASONAL position.
This position will start sometime in early to mid March and work to the middle of June. Then pickup again sometime in early to mid September and work through November.
This role will be responsible for assisting teachers as they arrive at the Zoo for field trips with their students and for assisting with the overall guest experience. Assistance to teachers will entail providing the group with a smooth exit from the school bus & a smooth entrance into the Zoo, providing parking instruction to the bus driver, & consistently providing superior guest service. Required skills include an understanding of children of all ages; excellent organization, communication, & leadership skills; patience; and the ability to diffuse problems quickly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists school group field trips with entry and exit of the Zoo
- Provides educational information to school groups and the general Zoo visitor
- Performs other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the School and Outreach Program Coordinator
- Position requires the ability to move about easily among various venues, both in and out of doors. Occasional lifting of 40 to 50 pounds is required.
- Position requires ability to remain on feet for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend and stoop.
- Position requires no impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch balance, and agility of movement, which might interfere with ability to work.
- Position requires a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Work is performed through out the zoo, as well as in spaces allocated for educational functions both in and out of doors.
- Internal: Daily with employees
- External: Frequently with teachers, students, parents, visitors, and volunteers
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Skill in engaging audiences and public speaking.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with adult/juvenile volunteers, teachers, other Zoo staff and the public.
- Skill in interacting with students and teachers.
- Skills in organization, communication, patience, and the ability to diffuse problems quickly.
- Skills in providing superior guest service.
High school diploma is required. Some college education is preferred. Some customer service experience also preferred.
Decisions related to task priorities .
High. Frequent short deadlines. Hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.
Kansas City Zoo - 18 months ago