JOB TITLE: Education Fellow
REPORTS TO: School Director/Administrative Team
JOB GOAL :
YES Prep Public Schools is seeking outstanding undergraduate students with a passion for education reform to experience the culture, teacher development, and operations of a high-performing public charter school with a strong national presence. Fellows will be critical members of the YES Prep North Central campus staff. We are looking for someone who is willing to do “Whatever it Takes” to help students, teachers, and school leaders this summer. Fellows will be immersed in the culture, instruction, and best practices of YES Prep and be equipped to continue to contribute to the education reform movement in the future.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of North Central’s two week summer school
- Assist teachers and administrators in preparing for the 2012-13 academic school year at YES Prep North Central
- Other duties will include, but not be limited to, participation in professional development, team teaching, working one-on-one with students, and shadowing members of the administration and campus leadership.
- Additional duties as assigned.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Attend appropriate, foundational Teaching Excellence sessions to learn the fundamentals of excellent instruction
- Manage student registration and orientation days at the beginning of the summer
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of summer school [Room decoration/ Logistics/ Curriculum preparation/ Assessment creation/Cultural activities]
- Team teach as a “student teacher” with a veteran English, Math, Science, or Social Studies teacher during the second week of summer school
- Perform classroom responsibilities at the direction of lead teacher, including but not limited to working with small groups of students and monitoring student behavior
- Tutor and assist students at the direction of classroom teachers or other staff and prepare reports on student progress.
- Support the Administrative team and Summer School Teachers in a variety of tasks to execute a successful summer school program
- Break down summer school and prepare campus in the transition between summer school and professional development/ in-service/ and the first days of school
- Set up Professional Development for teachers and staff returning from summer break
- Assist new and veteran teachers in prepping classrooms for the new academic year [Room decoration/ Logistics/ Curriculum preparation/Assessment creation/ Cultural activities]
- Build and maintain relationships with school leaders, teachers, students, and campus staff
- Act as a consultant for the building and management of the YES Prep Education Fellowship
- Participate in semi-weekly check ins to review progress on projects and responsibilities, problem solve any relevant issues, and constantly reassess the effectiveness of performance
- Actively seek opportunities to support campus needs and provide evaluative feedback on fellowship program
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Enrollment in a bachelor’s degree program from a 4-year college/university
- Has maintained a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- A commitment and passion for education, in particular an alignment to the mission of YES Prep Public Schools
- A desire to learn and collaborate with members of the YES Prep community
- An evolved sense of accountability and entrepreneurship, including a strong sense of autonomy in such a way that allows one to prioritize tasks effectively
- An exceptional level of skill in event planning and project management
- Outstanding skills in relationship building, oral and written communication, interpersonal relations and problem solving
- Willingness to work nights and weekends if necessary
- Access to an automobile (highly preferred)
Skills and Mindsets:
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
Please submit an online application to YES Prep’s TalentEd web site by June 15 th . Your application should consist of the following items:
a. Your interest in this role
- An uploaded current resume that highlights your accomplishments
- 250+ word responses to the essay questions. Be sure that your essays include:
b. Why you desire to impact education reform
c. How this opportunity will help you achieve your post-graduation goals
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
- 3 Professional and academic references (at least 1 of each)/ Letters are not required.
Length of Work:
July 10 th – August 14 th 2013 (6 weeks)
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a temporary, fellowship position. Compensation will be a $3,000 stipend payment at the conclusion of the fellowship. This position is not eligible for benefits through YES Prep.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
YES Prep Public Schools - 10 months ago
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...