As an intern in the education policy issue area, you will report directly to Chad Miller, the Director of Education Policy at the American Action Forum. The Director of Education Policy’s work examines the role of the government in our K-12 and higher education systems, concluding often that the best decision-making environment is one where states have the ability to find their best practices with minimal intervention from the federal government. The education issue area often interacts with other Forum issue areas heavily impacted by education policy such as our regulatory issue area.
A few examples of projects completed by previous interns in the Education Policy Internship Program include:
- Wrote issue briefs on education research and legislation
- Aided with both qualitative and quantitative research
- Monitor legislation activity at both the state and federal level
As part of the internship, your responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Research assistance: Interns will provide research assistance and data collection for their issue area director when in the office
- Event attendance: Interns will attend Capitol Hill hearings, private speaker events, and events held by other DC think tanks to analyze and report on the information presented
- Forum event support : Interns will help promote, run, and evaluate all Forum events
- Semester project : Interns will write a paper on a topic of their choice to be completed by the end of the semester. Issue area directors will assist the interns with their research and writing - the final papers will be published on the Forum’s website.
Hours and Compensation
- Interns must be available for 20 to 32 hours per week
- Interns will be provided an hourly wage to cover transportation and living expenses
- Interns will be responsible for bringing their own computer/equipment
- Excellent writing ability and communication skills
- An interest in the politics and policies of center-right conservatives
- Self-starting attitude
- Quantitative skills are desired but not required
Please include in your application a preferred start date, resume, cover letter, and writing sample of less than 1,000 words.
Documents must be submitted as a PDF file with the following file name:
Resume : LastName_Resume_Education
Cover Letter : LastName_CL_Education
Writing Sample : LastName_WS_Education
(Example: Jane Doe’s Resume – Doe_Resume_Education)