Oregon Department of Education Every Student, Every Day—A Success!
The Oregon Department of Education fosters excellence for every learner through innovation, collaboration, leadership, and service to our education partners.
Equity for Every Student
High Quality Education
People Are Our Greatest Asset
We provide statewide leadership for all elementary and secondary students in Oregon’s public school districts and education service districts. Responsibility also extends to public preschool programs, the state School for the Deaf, regional programs for children with disabilities, and education programs in Oregon youth correctional facilities.
There is currently one permanent, full-time position available with the Office of Assessment and Information Services (OAIS) at the Oregon Department of Education in Salem. This position is classified and represented by Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified people and may be used to fill vacancies as they occur.
The Office of Assessment and Information Services has two primary functions: student assessment; and the collection, validation, and reporting of data for education research, policy-making, and operations. The technical expertise of staff in this unit is available to districts to support business and financial functions. The work of OAIS affects every school, program, school district, and education service district (ESD) in the state. Nearly all students in the Oregon public school system are affected by the work in these units. Data is collected from nearly every educational administrative unit.
Applicants will be subject to a fingerprint-based background investigation including driving record. The successful candidate will need to be fingerprinted before beginning work and will be responsible for the $59.00 fee. Adverse background data may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Applicants will be subject to a computerized criminal history check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude an appointment. The circumstances involved in the conviction will be considered.
NOTE: School District employee's sick leave may be transferable.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The primary purpose of this position is to:
Lead research and development for statewide assessment in mathematics, and essential skills. Develop and implement assessment procedures, oversee secure assessment development and statewide implementation for mathematics and helping to maintain test security for assessments. Provide technical assistance within the Agency, and work with district, state and national level organizations to coordinate test administration of assessments, and interpretation and use of results.
Mathematics Program Coordination
Coordination of Assessment Systems
- Coordinate and supervise the development of the Mathematics Knowledge and Skills Assessment and related materials.
- Facilitate secure content review of all items developed for statewide mathematics assessments.
- Coordinate implementation of mathematics local performance assessments.
- Maintain documentation on interactions with teachers and vendors participating in assessment preparation.
- Review assessment design with key national policy groups and ODE assessment staff.
- Design and facilitate item development, and review items for grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and high school for the state assessment for both special needs students and the general population.
- Design and facilitate quality control of state assessments for grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and high school for paper and pencil, OAKS Online administration, and emergency test forms.
- Design field test rotations of items for grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and high school for both paper and pencil and OAKS Online administration.
- Design sample/practice knowledge and skills tests for grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and high school.
- Securely maintain the agency’s database of items and item characteristics for use during test development and item usage on operational tests.
- Design and publish/post interpretive materials, including test specifications, blue prints, and sample items, and assist in the development of technical reports for mathematics.
- Regularly maintain ODE’s secure storage and archival procedure for all mathematics test items and test forms.
- Oversee secure handling and storage of assessment items.
- Oversee and facilitate temporary employees who assist with translation review and data item entry.
- Facilitate selection of Science Content and Assessment Panel members who conduct item, document and scoring guide development and review.
- Collect and manage assurance of test security/confidentiality forms, conduct confidentiality training for secure item management by Panel members and temporary employees.
- Plan, assign and approve work completed by temporary employees.
Provide support for assessment issues relating to work samples in mathematics
- Provide leadership in assessment projects as identified, needed and assigned.
- Maintain and update web site resources relating to mathematics assessments. Maintain resources relating to local and statewide mathematics performance assessments.
- Coordinate projects that benefit the Oregon assessment system as a whole.
- Coordinate with the psychometrics unit to maintain technical documentation that ensures adherence to federal and state policy and procedures.
- Provide technical assistance to districts in the form of responding to questions, presentations, and document development.
- Develop administration and documentation processes which are common to all subject areas and increase test security.
- Develop procedures, protocols and documentation to increase the validity and reliability of assessments based on administration consistent with the test administration manual.
- Maintain and update web site resources relating to mathematics assessments.
- Revise/develop, field test, and implement statewide scoring guides when academic content standards are revised.
- Design, maintain, review documents relating to work sample collection and administration.
- Provide anchor papers or exemplars at various levels of performance to help calibrate statewide expectations at each of the grades for scoring work samples.
- Provide resources for local performance assessments as opportunity to learn and for demonstration of proficiency of essential skills.
- Lead state-level professional development for mathematics scoring and local performance assessments.
Maintain secure working environment at all times. Travel to districts and schools statewide and attend out-of-state meetings as required. Frequent overnight and weekend work may occur. Must possess and maintain a current, valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record or be able to provide an acceptable alternate method of transportation.
Qualifications & Desired Attributes:
Master's degree in Education or related field from an accredited college or university and five years of education experience in thearea of federal and state education programs (e.g., classroom teacher, counselor, itinerant service provider), two years of which includes leadership experience (e.g., lead teacher, program coordinator or director, school administrator) in the specialty area under recruitment.
A Doctorate in Education or related field from an accredited university may substitute for two years of the education experience, but not for the two years of leadership experience.
An Oregon Standard Administrative License (issued by Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission) may substitute for the two years of leadership experience.
Note: Your application materials must clearly describe how you meet these qualifications. Answers to the supplemental questions must be supported by the "Work Experience" section of your Oregon E-Recruit application.
Note: A copy of all transcripts must be attached at the time of application in order to receive credit for college degrees or coursework. Transcripts must include coursework and indicate that a degree was conferred. Online transcripts are acceptable. Official or original transcripts are not required; however, they may be required to validate education. Note: To protect your confidential information, please redact (black out) your social security number on all transcripts before attaching to your application.
***ATTACH THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR E-RECRUIT APPLICATION***
- Ability to establish effective relationships and demonstrate collaborative skills with district administrators, teachers, parents, and personnel from partnering institutions and groups
- Ability to demonstrate tact and to be assertive when faced with noncompliance issues
- Experience and skill in oral presentation and public speaking
- Strong comprehensive writing skills
- Knowledge of presentation software
- Experience in applying web technology as a communication tool and in data collection
- Knowledge of Oregon’s academic standards, career learning frameworks and assessment
- High levels of professional knowledge regarding effective programs for disadvantaged children and youth
- Experience in K-12 teaching and/or K-12 administration preferred
Cover letter summarizing your experience and describing your interest in the position
All application materials must be received by the closing date and time posted on this announcement.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION REQUIRES A FINGERPRINT-BASED BACKGROUND CHECK. THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO BE FINGERPRINTED BEFORE BEGINNING WORK AND WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE $59.00 FEE.
To apply: follow the “Apply” link above and complete the Oregon employment application online. Only complete applications submitted online will be considered . We do not accept paper or e-mail applications.
ODE will communicate with all applicants by e-mail.
Depending on the volume of applications received for this recruitment, you should allow two weeks after the close date to be notified concerning the review of your application. This job announcement may be used to fill future vacancies in this class of work. Apply now if you are interested in this/or future vacancies.
Determining Minimum Qualifications: Your application materials must clearly describe how you meet these qualifications. Answers to the supplemental questions must be supported by the “Work Experience” section of your Oregon E-Recruit application or you may not be considered for this position. A resume (text or attached) will not be reviewed for work history unless stated in the job posting that it is a required attachment.
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach all required documents. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Supplemental Questions: Be sure to answer the “Supplemental Questions” and attach all required documents. In order to evaluate your experience as it relates to this position, we need your responses to the supplemental questions. They will be the sole basis for determining which applicants, among those who meet the minimum qualifications, will be provided an interview. Failure to respond to each question in the space provided for that question may result in disqualification of your application.
The space provided will expand to accommodate additional text beyond the area shown. You may cut and paste text into the space provided from a word processing program, such as Word, WordPerfect, or Notepad.
Please note that your responses will also be evaluated for English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Attachments: If you need assistance with adding attachments to your profile or to a specific job application please go to http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/STJOBS/docs/addingremovingattachments.pdf for further instructions.
Interviews: Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the minimum qualifications and desired attributes for this position will be invited to an interview. If called for an interview, applicants will be asked to sign a reference authorization and release form at the time of interview.
Background Check: Applicants will be subject to a thorough background investigation including fingerprinting and driving record. Adverse background data may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Applicants will be subject to a Computerized Criminal History check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude an appointment. The circumstances involved in the conviction will be considered.
If you require an alternate format in order to complete the employment process, you may call Recruitment Services at (503) 947-5757. Please be prepared to leave a message describing the alternate format needed.
Esther Mangini, Human Resource Assistant
Oregon Department of Education
255 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97310
For more information on veterans’ preference points, please visit
For more information about the Oregon Department of Education visit:
The pay and benefits on all announcements may change without notice. Please be aware that due to the economic downturn and subsequent state budget shortfall, the Governor has ordered mandatory unpaid furlough days for employees. This position will be required to take furlough days in the 2011-13 biennium.
NOTE: The Oregon Department of Education does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete the U.S. Department of Justice form I-9 confirming authorization to work in the United States.
The Oregon Department of Education is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and any other classification protected under state or federal law to apply for this opening.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – Email Addresses Now Required
The state of Oregon is now requiring all applications have a valid email address.
If you do not currently have an email address and do not know where to go to get one please refer to our Applicant E-Recruit FAQ's web page. Click on the link below to go directly to question #14 to view several internet providers where you can get a free e-mail account. The state of Oregon does not endorse any particular provider.
Agencies A to Z
Oregon Administrative Rules
Oregon Revised Statutes
Web Site Links
State of Oregon - 21 months ago