Rolls-Royce, a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, operates in four global markets - civil aerospace, defense aerospace, marine and energy. We continue to invest in core technologies, products, people and capabilities with the objective of broadening and strengthening the product portfolio, improving efficiency and enhancing the environmental performance of our products.
The AC Generator Control and Protection and Medium Voltage Electrical Engineering Specialist will be responsible for the design and testing of generator control systems in conformance to customer specifications and industry standards and codes, preparing and interpreting engineering specifications for Medium Voltage (up to 15.0 kV) generators and generator control and protection equipment in support of turbo machinery applications.
Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising 600 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 2,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and energy customers in 120 countries. Rolls-Royce is a technology leader, employing 38,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in 50 countries.
- Review vendor's documentation, customer specifications and prepare global procurement specifications required to meet project requirements for generator control and protection panel, generators and circuit breaker cubicles.
- Size and select generators including line and neutral cubicles, current transformers and neutral earthing equipment, switchgears, circuit breakers, instrumentation and wiring systems.
- Prepare high voltage one-line diagrams illustrating generator grounding equipment, instrument transformers and protection functions.
- Develop Protection Relay settings and calculations for Ground Fault, Differential, Reverse Power, Phase Fault, Over current, Under Current, Loss of Field, Over Excitation, Over/Under Voltage, Off-Frequency, Inadvertent Energization, Negative Sequence, Rotor Earth Fault
- Select and program Automatic Voltage Regulator systems.
- Design synchronization systems and select metering equipment including power quality meters.
- Develop Power management system (Loading, Unloading, Load-shedding and sharing)
- Program Power System Stabilizer.
- Prepare Electrical Schematics and 3D Panel layouts to support system designs.
- Prepare Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID's), Table of Actions and Components List.
- Participate in factory tests including Customer Witness Test / Factory Acceptance Test.
- Evaluate generator performance data and capability curves.
- Select high voltage step up transformer and transformer protection equipment.
- Liaise with other engineers and vendors to assure functional integration of products and associated designs.
- Responsible for designs on multiple projects, which demands the individual to be self-directed and capable of working as part of a team to ensure deliverables are on time to Rolls-Royce best practices.
- Understanding of Excitation System Models for static and brushless systems.
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer.
Rolls-Royce is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and a barrier-free employment process.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and 5 years experience in an engineering role or masters degree and 3 years experience in an engineering role
- Experience with generators, generator control and protection, medium voltage equipments, equipment packaging, power/process plant sizing or other industrial applications.
- Previous experience in the petrochemical industry and knowledge of American Petroleum Institute (API) codes and NEC/IEC standards
- Field and manufacturing experience in generators, excitation, AVRs, synchronization and generator control and protection.
- Willingness to travel domestic and international
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well within a team environment but can also be self-directed when required
- Proficient IT skills including experience of Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel
Rolls-Royce plc is a global company providing power on land, sea, and air. The company has established leading positions in civil aerospace,...