Job Category: Operations
Location: Quincy, WA, US
Job ID: 806867-91062
Division: Online Services Division
Data Center Operations is looking for a team player to work in one of our mission critical Microsoft Data Centers. The ideal candidate will have previous work experience in Data Center Facilities Operation and Critical Infrastructure. This candidate will be the lead Electrical Engineer for a large-scale mission critical facility’s electrical infrastructure systems.
Must have a strong technical knowledge in the operation and maintenance of facility electrical systems and data centers is required; to include power distribution, lighting, grounding, fire alarm, security, life safety systems, and controls. Candidate would also have technical knowledge on building automation systems including monitoring and alarm systems.
In addition, the candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, project management and organizational skills and be familiar with advanced operational processes and procedures in dealing with large data center environments. A working knowledge of Computer-aided design software; proficiency in Microsoft Office software is a plus.
Data Center Technology and Experience
Communication and Management Skills / Experience
- Significant experience in a production, mission-critical, revenue-dependent, 24x7 data center environment.
- Strong technical knowledge of electrical theory and practical use in the maintenance and operation of mission critical power equipment; paralleling switchgear, redundant uninterruptible power supply systems, DC battery strings, multi-source electrical utility switchgear, standby generators, and diesel fuel storage and delivery systems.
- Technical understanding of building automation and controls, ability to correlate reliability and availability. Capable of management and administration of building control systems.
- Knowledge of construction techniques and terminology including the ability to read and interpret blueprints, construction drawings and documents is essential.
- Experience in the design, operation, and commissioning of Generators, UPS, PMM’s and PDU’s.
- Establish and coordinate the maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule, and supply of materials required to maintain electrical equipment.
- Maintain all DC related electrical system design requirement and related documentation.
- Continuously develop, refine, implement, manage and maintain written procedures related to operating, maintaining, and recovering (emergency) the electrical critical Systems. MOP’s, SOP’s, EOP’s, etc.
- Design, assess, and conduct studies of electrical power, lighting, life safety, and other facility systems.
- Ability to prioritize, manage, coordinate and sucessfully execute multiple concurrent mission critical infrastructure projects with vendor resources, engineering/construction contractors.
- Provide technical support to design reviews, support sustainability initiatives, develop recommendations to the electrical infrastructure and/or monitoring systems, monitor electrical infrastructure, apply NEC and other construction code/standards and support/lead process improvement initiatives.
- Candidates must be able to communicate and write effectively and manage multiple concurrent projects and tasks.
- Good understanding of and feeling for data center costs, and how the electrical design impacts CAPEX and OPEX.
- Experience in vendor management, ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced maintenance and projects.
- Understanding and apply CBEMA/ITI Curve to a critical environment.
- Detailed familiarity with NETA testing and applications.
- NFPA70 requirements as applied to safe facility operations.
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven ability to deliver projects on-time and adherence to deadlines.
- Proven ability to motivate disparate teams both direct and indirect to solve issues.
- Proven ability and understanding of budgetary and financial processes.
- Proven ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations.
Required Basic Qualifications
- Requires excellent inter-personal, communication and presentation skills.
- Proven track record as a Team-builder and leader.
- Proven track record at vendor management in support and labor-based contracts.
- Proven track record of vendor management in maintenance based contracts.
- Proven track record in process and procedure development and execution.
- Provide meaningful and timely reporting for weekly success metrics.
- Proven success and experience in recruiting, promoting, training, disciplinary actions, and other basic management functions.
- Provide leadership and direction.
Candidates must be able to meet all federal government security screening requirements as indicated for this role. Federal security screening requirements call for applicant to verify U.S. Citizenship. Additional customer screening requirements may include additional items such as, but not limited to: specialized agency background checks (either national or local) and fingerprinting, as well as the ability to obtain a government personnel security clearance. All employees hired into roles supporting Cloud Offerings will also be required to pass Microsoft background checks prior to the start of employment and every two years thereafter.
- Bachelor/Master degree in Electrical, Industrial or Process Engineering a plus Electrical Engineer
- 5+ years experience, Data Center Engineering
- 5+ years experience, Data Center Facility Operation Facility Maintenance
- 5+ years experience, Data Center Commissioning and Integrated Testing Commissioning; Construction
- 2+ years experience, IT infrastructure deployment
- 2+ years experience, vendor management
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the work place.
Microsoft - 14 months ago
Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's...