The Utilities Electric Operations Team is currently seeking an Electrician - Lead with an extensive metering background for their Meter Shop. Under direct supervision the Electrician - Lead provides basic instruction to Electricians, Electrical Assistants, Metering Personnel, Apprentices and assists in training as required. Performs hands on installation, repairs and maintenance of electric systems. |
The Electrician-Lead provides on-site lead responsibilities in the installation and maintenance of power distribution substations, street lighting circuits, traffic signal computer, coaxial communications circuits, fiber optics system, SCADA system, programmable logic controllers (PLC), instrumentation systems, electrical metering, testing, locating trouble associated with such equipment and other related duties as assigned.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Services and maintains solid state and electrical/mechanical components such as traffic signal controllers, coaxial cable and components, fiber optics system and components, remote transmitting units (RTU), instrumentation components, installation of conduit, boxes and cable, lighting, power systems and various apparatus
- Services and maintains distribution substations, street lighting, and electrical metering
- Makes recommendations to immediate supervisor concerning appraisals and performance of employees
- Maintains inventory of material associated with assigned work
- Maintains records concerning all functions of assigned work
- Installs, maintains and repairs electric control panels, motor control centers (MCC), PLCs, variable frequency drives VFDs, soft starters, AC and DC motors, loop-controllers, electric valve controllers/positioners, hazardous chemical feed and monitoring systems, flow meters, incinerator burner control systems, SCADA computers, fiber optic/unshielded twisted pair (UTP)/coax cable, network hardware, and video surveillance systems, modems, transmitters
- Programs and documents SCADA system computers, PLCs, controllers, and miscellaneous "smart" instruments. Maintains calibration records and files
- Uses computerized maintenance management system
- Provides lead direction and may assume supervisory duties in the absence of immediate supervisor
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
- Completion of an accredited electrician apprentice program, or (depending upon position), Associate of Science degree in electronics or equivalent experience
- Two years of experience as a journey-level Electrician/Technician
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License
- Ability to pass drug test as mandated by the Department of Transportation
- May be required to work on standby and/or overtime in emergency situations
- 9/80 work schedule with Friday off TBD by hiring supervisor
- Knowledge of PT and CT wiring for both primary and secondary circuits knowledge of power quality monitoring devices, setting and calibrating revenue meters, testing PT's and CT's, rubber goods management and gas monitor calibration.
Must have (1) journeyman electrician with an extensive metering background, (2) knowledge of the different meter form wiring schemes, (3) power quality background (4) computer skills
Ideal Candidate - We are looking for someone with specific metering knowledge such as but not limited to; metercat, and alpha plus (metering software) and provision (power quality program)
City of Palo Alto - 12 months ago