About The Port Authority
Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH), the primary transit system linking Manhattan and neighboring New Jersey urban communities with suburban railroads, invites qualified applicants to apply for CAR EQUIPMENT ELECTRICIAN positions.
Selected applicants will perform skilled electrical and electronic work on PATH's fleet of rail car equipment. This includes removing, installing, maintaining, assembly, disassembly, alteration, and diagnosing, testing, troubleshooting, rewiring and repairing electrical and electronic components in accordance with FRA, OSHA and PATH regulations. Specific components include rail car traction controls, car command and networking systems, auxiliary power supply, propulsion systems, heating and air conditioning systems, lighting, public address systems and all other electrical/electronic systems that make up the whole rail car system including wiring or rewiring of the circuitry for air conditioners, repairing lighting, overhauling and testing relays, contactors, circuit breakers and electrical circuits. Clean electrical and electronic systems. Maintain circuits, PC boards, covers, motors and all parts associated with rail car systems. Exposure and work in adverse weather conditions. Work in live railroad track environments with both AC and DC (650v) current. Work long hours, standing at bench or operating shop equipment. Climb on or under trains, read small numbers or letters on test equipment and walk through shop areas with unclear floor areas.
- High school, vocational diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Four (4) Years experience as a journeyman Electrician
- Experience using hand and power tools both electrical and pneumatic
- Must be able to handle heavy equipment, such as 3/8 to 1 inch impact guns, large wrenches,
and torque wrenches, parts weighing 70 pounds, slings and hooks
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications profile:
- Knowledge and understanding of standard practices, methods, equipment, terms and materials used by Electrician in the operation, servicing, repair, overhaul and maintenance of Electro-mechanical equipment/machinery.
- Working knowledge of trade skills, which includes, but is not limited to: reading electrical prints; working from and handling printed circuits; skilled in using precision electrical and electronic test instruments including meters and scopes; and, skilled in wiring / rewiring components, troubleshooting and resolving electrical problems.
- Able to read and work from blueprints/schematics, prepare layouts to operate equipment, service and repair and maintain rail car and associated equipment; and to use precision, hand and pneumatic tools, shop machines, meters and test equipment, including portable testing equipment (e.g., laptop) and bench testing equipment.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Knowledge of state and local electrical codes
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a written test that will measure
a candidate's knowledge in areas such as:
- Electrical Theory
- Electrical Codes and Safety
- Motors and Controls
- Electrical Equipment
- Troubleshooting and Repair
- Trade Mathematics
Candidates who qualify on the written exam will be eligible to be considered for the next step in the evaluation process, a practical exam. The Electrician practical exam may consist of problems including but not limited to:
- Working with Resistors
- Creating Wiring
- Blueprint Reading
- Meggering a Motor
- Basic Computer Skills
Selected candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits package (subject to collective bargaining agreement) and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
Salary: $35.97 hourly (Subject to collective bargaining agreement)
How To Apply
Interested candidates can apply by visiting our website at www.jointheportauthority.com and typing in the keywords, Car Equipment Electrician in the search field to apply. Click on the "Add to Job Basket" button and submit a resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.