The TESL works with lead Teachers to create a warm and welcoming school culture that is driven by student achievement. The TESL is committed to outrageously high expectations and high support for students. The TESL will lead lessons to encourage students to communicate with each other using learned structures and vocabulary and to improve the four basic language skills: listening; speaking; reading; and writing. |
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement Mastery’s curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency;
- Work with lead Teacher to develop rigorous lesson plans, homework assignments and assessments ;
- Incorporate language games, formal language exercises and literature into classroom instruction;
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data and use data to inform instruction;
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards;
- Form and maintain relationships with students’ families, including phone calls and conferences;
- Participate in on-going professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement;
- Marking and providing appropriate feedback on oral and written work;
- Devising, writing and producing new materials, including audio and visual resources;
- Involvement in social and cultural activities to assist and assess students in a variety of settings;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and other school leaders.
Education and Experience:
- Must be ESL Certified
- Excellent spoken and written language skills, with English and foreign languages
- Ability to adjust instructional strategies in order to reach year-end goals
- The ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain a highly orderly classroom environment
- Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students should be held to high standards
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain an orderly classroom environment
Physical Requirements: Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms including standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speak loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board or projector.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Degree in Language, Linguistics, Education or English degree preferred, but not required.
- Must have Program Specialist: ESL Certificate
- Must have at least two (2) years of classroom teaching experience, urban school setting preferred
- Documented experience using data-driven instruction to achieve significant student gains
Mastery is a growing non-profit charter school network recognized nationally for our work in school turnarounds and dramatic student...