Interested candidates should apply through our online system. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and two professional references at:
- Please note that, due to a high volume of applications, only those that are submitted through our site will be reviewed.
Blueprint Schools Network (Blueprint) is a nonprofit organization based in Massachusetts. Our work with schools around the country has shown that positive change is possible when five core strategies for school improvement are implemented together as a comprehensive package. These strategies include:
1. Ensuring every student has an excellent teacher and a school leader committed to their success;
2. Setting clear, consistent standards for academic achievement and establishing a school-wide focus on preparing all students for college;
3. Increasing instructional time;
4. Providing daily, small group tutoring to students using highly qualified and well-trained instructors; and
5. Collecting assessment data frequently to monitor each student’s academic progress and tailoring instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
In late January 2014, Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Mitchell D. Chester selected Blueprint to become the receiver for Paul A. Dever (Dever) Elementary School in Boston. As receiver, Blueprint will assume full responsibility for the day-to-day implementation of our five core strategies in order to provide an excellent education to all students who attend.
Please note that only candidates with experience as a school leader will be considered for this position.
Turnaround Principal Job Description
- Lead the school’s vision, mission, and strategic goals to support college-readiness and academic and socioemotional success for all students;
- Drive rapid and dramatic instructional improvements by implementing strategies in line with the priority areas identified in the School Turnaround Plan;
- Support and supervise the design of rigorous, standards-based instruction with measurable outcomes;
- Implement an observation and feedback cycle that ensures continuous improvement in teaching and learning;
- Analyze student achievement results to identify areas of need and inform school improvement efforts;
- Develop and implement a professional development plan to address identified areas of need; and
- Develop a collegial environment that supports teacher leadership, collaboration, and growth.
Management and Operations
- Ensure a safe and nurturing environment for students, staff, and families;
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring of diverse, highly-qualified staff;
- Strategically align people, time and money to drive student achievement;
- Apply teacher and staff performance management systems in a way that ensures a culture of continuous improvement, support, and accountability;
- Oversee the operations of the school in partnership with Dean of School Culture; and
- Comply with all state and federal laws, policies, and collective bargaining agreements.
Family and Community Engagement
- Actively advocate for and engage family and community;
- Strengthen teacher and staff capacity to cultivate and sustain meaningful partnerships with families of diverse backgrounds and with community members that support student achievement and student well-being; and
- Manage partnerships.
Our turnaround leaders:
- Are focused on results and have proven success in increasing student achievement and adult performance;
- Influence and motivate others to reach their potential;
- Are solution-oriented and creative problem solvers with experience in data analysis and creating and managing systems;
- Set high expectations and communicate them to a variety of stakeholders;
- Understand, communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures;
- Continually reflect and seek feedback to improve their practice;
- Have demonstrated perseverance in their career and education;
- Thrive in a fast-paced, change-oriented environment; and
- Possess strong pedagogical skills and are highly effective at coaching other adults.
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution
- Experience as a school leader required
- 2+ years of teaching experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in English Language Development (ELD) and Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) strategies, strongly preferred
- English/Spanish bilingual, preferred but not required
- Demonstrated experience in building a positive school culture
- Massachusetts Principal Licensure (by time of appointment)
- Experience in an urban, high-poverty, and/or turnaround school highly preferred.
To apply, please visit the link below to submit a cover letter and resume. Please include your current salary and minimum salary requirements when applying. Please note that, due to a high volume of applications, only those that are submitted through our online website will be reviewed.
Please Note: If selected for this position, you will be employed by Boston Public Schools. Additional application materials may be required by the school district. The Dever School Principal reports directly to the Blueprint Managing Director.
Blueprint Schools Network is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V