Full Time Position (1.0 FTE)
ANY POSITION ADVERTISED AUGUST 15 TH OR LATER WILL BE A ONE-YEAR CONTRACT ONLY.
TEACHING POSITION: Requires Alaska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsement (s) (for information visit: http://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCertification ). When appropriate, must be willing and able to test for the NCLB "highly qualified" standard(s).
Yaakoosge Daakahidi Alternative High School is a small school community that serves students who come from varied life experiences and desire a personalized path to graduation. We value academics; relationships; work readiness and community partnerships as we provide students with an opportunity to obtain their high school diploma and transition into adulthood.
Position Summary: The position requires flexibility and the ability to work on a team of colleagues in multiple settings. Behavior management skills, ability to communicate with many individuals, and knowledge of and ability to implement strategies and assessments for diverse students is essential. Previous experience working on a team in a professional learning community and working with under performing students, team-teaching integrated content, project-based instruction, authentic and performance based assessments, and integration of technology preferred. Candidate needs to be able to consistently implement team-established structures in addition to school-wide policies .
The Employability Teacher will teach classes that will help students gain skills to find and maintain employment as well as transition from high school to post secondary opportunities. The selected candidate will also work with students who are dually enrolled with UAS (University of Alaska Southeast). This candidate will be responsible for transition counseling of seniors and helping them apply for financial aid, college, trade school, etc. They will help coordinate Friday employability activities and speakers. They will also coordinate with other agencies (trades, high growth careers, UAS, Tlinget and Haida, etc) and career counselors and specialists from the other high schools and agencies in the area.
- Valid Alaska teaching certificate.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in education, or closely related field.
- Proven ability to collaborate with teachers, specialists, and community agencies to build support and plan activities to service individual student needs.
- Willing and able to pass the highly-qualified standards for this position.
- Master's degree in education.
- Recent experience teaching high school English preferred and/or Secondary English endorsement desired.
- Experience working with at-risk youth.
- Experience working in a high school setting.
- Experience/background in career pathways implementation and knowledge of high growth industries in Alaska.
- Knowledge and experience working with the University system, helping students register for dual credit courses, applying for financial and taking post-secondary preparation tests such as the SAT or apprenticeship examinations.
- Knowledge and experience teaching youth about getting and maintaining employment as well as college and post-secondary training.
- Experience facilitating student advisory groups.
Salary is dependent on experience and education. The Juneau School District offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) plan, see: http://www.state.ak.us/drb/dcrp/dcrplansummary.pdf
Visit our website at www.juneauschools.org/hr and complete an electronic application.