Energy Demand Research Analyst – BENTEK Energy Market Information Products
BENTEK is a team of highly motivated professionals delivering mission-critical information and decision tools to the energy industry. As an entry-level position this is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or someone just beginning their career to gain valuable experience while working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial company in a rapidly growing market. Although the company was founded over twenty five years ago, we entered a new high-growth market segment about five years ago. Since then, we have experienced triple digit increases in revenue and are now significantly expanding our product line and client outreach efforts. We need an enthusiastic, creative and motivated individual to join our Denver-based team and help make it happen.
As a member of our Demand Group, you will have the responsibility for analyzing natural gas, electricity, and coal market areas. You will also effectively communicate market developments with BENTEK's existing customer base. You will support the introduction of new products, troubleshoot problems and provide solutions to customer inquiries. You will handle data management, research and analysis, inbound service calls, and outbound support calls. The right candidate must be outgoing, flexible, able to work well on a team, and dedicated in order to work in our fast paced environment. You will learn and understand the underlying economic drivers of the US Natural Gas, Electricity, and Coal industries.
Your responsibilities in the Demand Group will include:
- Analyzing specific pipelines, markets and market areas, and regions of the country.
- Conducting market research and analysis.
- Engaging with clients, including investigating and responding to daily market-related questions, discussing market dynamics in person during client visits and presenting BENTEK analysis via webex or in person.
- Responsible for conducting research, developing energy market model methodologies.
- Conducts statistical analysis and interprets data into useful business information.
- Prepares documentation of modeling methodologies.
- Monitors quality of models, performs maintenance or redevelops methodologies as needed.
- Communicates across business areas such as IT, Analytics, and Sales & Marketing to effectively facilitate information flow between groups.
Statistical Analysis and Modeling
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, or related field of study.
- MatLab programming experience preferred, or other statistical software
- 0-3 years previous experience in natural gas or energy industry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products, Excel, PowerPoint and Word. SQL experience is also useful. The ability to shape/influence/test the development of new system applications and knowledge of relational databases is also an asset.
- Persistent with a natural curiosity about energy market fundamentals.
Interpersonal, Communication and Presentation skills
- Knowledge of time series modeling and forecasting techniques.
- Experience in MatLab or other statistical software packages.
- Model validation using out of sample tests and other statistical measurements.
- Comfortable building multivariable linear regressions.
- Ability to work with large datasets.
- Strong individual contributor with consultative style and aptitude for collaboration and teamwork. Skilled at working across multi-disciplinary functions and departments.
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Ability to organize and present complex analysis and conclusions in a PowerPoint slide format
- Previous public speaking experience preferred (can be academic)
- Ability to think on your feet
- Ability and willingness to promptly respond to customer requests for data and analysis
- Proficient in collecting, querying, organizing and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and drawing logical conclusions.
- Substantial responsibility in the compilation, analysis, interpretation and reporting of data.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Working knowledge of energy industry business management and operating/accounting principles.
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, working under time pressure and to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently or in collaborative groups to determine objectives, provide recommendations and develop conclusions.
- Maintain cooperative working relations with co-workers in IT and Analytics.
- Result Orientation – proactive problem-solving ability with a solutions-oriented attitude. Focus on results with an ability to manage frequently changing priorities in a professional and production manner.
- Proficient in identifying, gathering, analyzing information to solve problems effectively and in a timely manner.
- Ability to meet challenges with resourcefulness in developing alternative approaches.
- Communications solutions effectively.
- Volunteers readily to assist a colleague or project
- Undertakes self-development activities
- Seeks increased responsibilities and takes advantage of opportunities
- Asks for and offers help when needed, while also taking independent actions and calculated risks to achieve goals
BENTEK is an energy market information, analysis and decision tools company based in the heart of the Rocky Mountain Front Range, just 25 miles west of Denver Colorado. The firm provides data, analytical tools, research, market advice and strategy recommendations focused on the energy market with a special emphasis on buyers, sellers and transporters of natural gas. Our flagship products are Energy Market Fundamental reports and the Benport Data Warehouse™ an information service and set of associated technologies used by participants in the North American natural gas market for the examination, analysis and visualization of pipeline flows and capacity utilization at specific receipt and delivery points.
The future of energy is in your hands. At Platts, the world's leading energy information provider, traders, risk managers, analysts, and industry leaders will depend on you to help them make better trading and investment decisions in the all-important energy markets. Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency. With more than 600 employees in 17 offices spanning five continents, you get the best of a small company and a Fortune 500 corporation at Platts. We have a highly diverse workforce, a global perspective, and a "business casual" culture. Platts is a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
The McGraw-Hill Companies (NYSE: MHP) is a Fortune500 corporation with over 20,000 global employees and over 10,000 U.S. employees. Around the world, McGraw-Hill provides people with the information and insights they need to adapt and grow in changing times. Our business spans the fields of financial services, education, and business information with leading brand names such as Standard & Poor's, McGraw-Hill Education, Platts, and J.D. Power & Associates. By working together with our customers and partners, these brands are laying the foundation for a smarter, better world.
The McGraw-Hill Companies is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
McGraw Hill Financial - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
McGraw Hill Financial is a high-growth, high-margin benchmarks, content and analytics company serving the capital and commodity markets....