GL Garrad Hassan North America is looking to recruit an Engineer for Power Markets Transmission Analysis. This position will be responsible for supporting the strong growth of PMTA consulting services in North America. This position is responsible for a range of duties including performing consulting projects such as wind curtailment studies, wind integration analysis, nodal price forecasts, transmission congestion studies, and other custom consulting engagements. Duties may also include managing projects, supporting business development activities, and contributing to the strategic direction and growth of the PMTA practice area. This position requires use of the Ventyx PROMOD simulation software and knowledge of PROMOD or a similar simulation model is a plus. Strong communication and inter-personal skills are critical, and experience interacting with clients in a leadership role is a strong plus.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Engineer will be responsible for performing analysis and creating deliverables for multiple projects. The position will be responsible for communicating and resolving technical issues with Clients, and may include traveling to client offices in all parts of the country to perform project duties and present study findings. The position is responsible for addressing concerns and issues of the Client related to the project, placing a premium on the Client's time. The position is required to thoroughly understand a broad range of power systems engineering including generation, transmission, Locational Marginal Price market concepts, market operations, security constrained unit commitment and dispatch, and renewable energy technologies and issues. Duties of the position center around performing power systems analysis including the use of power flow tools and detailed energy market economic simulation models.
- Must have excellent analytical skills
- Must be motivated to learn and develop new skills
- Should be comfortable and effective leading a discussion and presenting to a group
- Must have excellent written communication skills
- Expected to develop high proficiency with PROMOD software model
- Expected to develop project management skills and eventually be able to lead projects independently with minimal oversight
- Expected to develop deep knowledge of energy markets and how they work, including Locational Marginal Price (LMP) calculations and congestion analysis
- Expected to develop a basic understanding of transmission system operation and how it impacts unit generation
- Expected to learn concepts related to future energy market development including future generation expansion decisions and future transmission development alternatives
- Expected to follow energy policy changes and be able to translate the elements of new policy legislation into modeling data to capture potential impacts
- Expected to become proficient at drafting study reports including written text and graphics that effectively communicate key study findings
- Expected to become proficient at drafting proposals and estimating costs for potential engagements to support business development
- Expected to contribute to the strategic development and growth of the Market Analysis practice area
Knowledge/experience in the following areas would be helpful, but are not required:
- Experience in software development and database management;
- Experience and aptitude in power system simulation and analysis;
- Strong appitude with MS Office products, especially Excel
- Understanding of regional electrical power system market structures;
- Understanding of current and evolving regulatory environment related to electrical power system and market operations;
- Knowledge of modeling, database and analysis techniques applied in power market analysis;
- Management of projects in a technical consultancy or similar environment;
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Fluent in Microsoft Office products;
- Writing and communication skills must be excellent;
- Able to establish and maintain good relations with clients;
- Strong technical, organizational, and leadership skills;
- BS in Engineering (BSEE) with emphasis in power systems from an ABET accredited 4 year university, MS a plus, At least 3 years experience in energy industry.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable MVR
- A minimum of 40 hours per week Monday to Friday.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to sit for long periods of time; this is a desk job.
- Working in an indoor, environmentally controlled environment
- Repetitive tasks, typing, sitting and interacting with computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) most of the day.
This position can be based in any GL Garrad Hassan North America offices or Atlanta, GA. GL Garrad Hassan North America offers an excellent benefit package.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Requires the willingness and availability to travel up to 10% of time for periods generally less than 3 days.
GL Garrad Hassan North America is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the work place.
GL Garrad Hassan - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard