Tesla Motors is breaking the mold and paving the path to change the way the world looks not only at alternative energy vehicles, but also at the paradigm of human transportation. Our zero tailpipe emission products do not compromise on performance, luxury, nor utility. Neither do we compromise on the people that make our products happen.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing the top engineers in any given discipline. Our world-class engineering teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and be challenged, to create, to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
- You must have a genuine passion for engineering electric vehicles. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult. There are much easier jobs.
- You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
- We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun work environment and the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
Body Engineering Design Engineer
The Design Engineer is responsible for designing and delivering components and systems for the Tesla Model S program as well as TBD future Tesla product programs.
These positions report to the Interior, Exterior, BIW or Closures Managers – depending on the commodity.
Conceptualize, Design, Release, Develop and Launch assigned components/systems, including:
- Create and develop component and system requirements and specifications
- Create vehicle-aligned component and system targets for function, cost, weight and investment
- Establish system architecture and functional feasibility
- Support creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents
- Work with the Design Studio to resolve feasibility issues
- Develop design concepts and production designs in CATIA V5
- Optimize the concepts and designs with analytical and physical assessments
- Complete and release system, sub-system and detail designs
- Deliver world-class craftsmanship and fit/finish
- Insure product conforms to all market regulations governing assigned systems
- Release parts for production in the PLM system
- Interface with suppliers for manufacturing feasibility, validation, and other engineering activities as specified for the assigned commodity. Note that in most cases, Tesla Vehicle Engineering will design commodities for the Model S in-house.
- Deliver designs and other program deliverables on time and within budget
- Insure designs are compatible with the assembly process and are serviceable
- Create (with component/system supplier) component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods
- Complete component and system validation as required, insuring system targets are met and optimized
- Support vehicle milestones and build events
- Launch the product successfully
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering
- Seven years minimum experience in automotive body design and engineering - specific system experience required
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs
- Ability to interpret CAE results and integrate recommendations into product designs
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with tight timing constraints
- Prior experience with low volume (10-25k units/year) production
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and lightweight, recyclable and sustainable materials
Tesla Motors - 2 years ago
Tesla Motors intends to spark the public's passion and eco-conscience for electric vehicles. Founded in 2003, the company...