Engineering & Construction Project Manager - TX-24666
Xcel Energy has an exciting opportunity for an Engineering and Construction Project Manager located in Amarillo or Lubbock, TX. The person in this role will manage capital projects to maintain and improve the reliability of operations and efficiency of the regional power plants. You will also support the development, engineering and management of new generation projects.
Provides project management for multiple, complex Engery Supply (ES) projects throughout the region. Provides leadership & coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams. Manages teams to achieve approved project scope, develops, modifies and tracks detailed cross-departmental milestone schedules, project-level cost tracking and reconciliation. Coordinates development of detailed cost estimates, schedules and associated project RFP's, RFQ's, contracts, etc. Participates with other Xcel business units to develop projects and meet project needs. Leads projects through public processes including development, permitting and regulatory approvals. Successful project transition from feasibility/justification, to planning & design, procurement, construction & installation, startup & commissioning and closeout. Identify options, performing and reviewing Cost/Benefit analyses, writing executive and detailed reports regarding project outcomes and technical problem solutions. Project workforce safety program.
- Responsible for overall project coordination on Energy Supply generation projects, throughout the fleet. Includes identification of appropriate multi-departmental project team resources, leads project meetings, development and tracking of project cost estimates, development and tracking of inter-department milestone schedules and coordination of work scope and schedule compliance. Identifies critical project drivers, establishes key performance metrics for effective project management in the following areas: safety, quality, schedule and cost. Manages all project documentation.
- During project feasibility and justification stage, works closely with Director, Regional Capital Projects to determine candidate projects for utilizing a dedicated project manager. Monitors the effectiveness, and reviews, participates in and directs the execution of project O&M studies. Supports, communicates, adheres and participates in the maintenance of the Xcel Energy, Energy Supply and E&C capital project management policies, processes and procedures. Provides assistance and support to other project teams as required in all regions.
- Ensures all project contracts and design packages are complete and encompass the entire project scope. Assures required outage and clearance coordination restrictions have been identified and addressed. Oversees the development of biddable design packages and coordinates bidding, evaluation and award process. Responsible for contract issuance, administration, performance tracking and closeout.
- Manages project construction process for contractor and/or company construction forces. Oversees the technical inspection process to ensure compliance with specifications, policies, processes, procedures and standards. Tracks Xcel Energy team personnel, consultant, supplier, and constructor performance on safety, quality, schedule, environmental and cost compliance.
- Communicates with and establishes effective working relationships with external entities and internal organizations to maximize project efficiency, responsiveness and resource allocation. Communicates with plant management on project interfaces. Delivers weekly and monthly project progress reports and provides input and/or leads presentations as required. Assists Manager, Capital Projects with business plan preparation and special assignments as assigned.
- Acts as liaison between company and contractor workforces. Provides problem resolution throughout the construction process. Communicates project status to all levels of Xcel Energy personnel including management, other company organizations, consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Responsible for project accounting, detailed monthly forecasting, review of monthly actual costs, accruals and adjustment of expenditures to meet budget targets when necessary. Responsible for accurate cost estimating and proactive monitoring of detailed project cash flows.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Construction or related field
- 10 years of power or industrial construction and diversified project management experience; to include a minimum of 5 years experience in construction of fossil and/or energy related plants
- Experience managing multiple construction projects at least $10M in aggregate value
- Ability to travel as required to manage responsibilities across the fleet
- Ability to travel between plants and regions
- Professional project training
- PE license in TX/NM
- 15 years of progressive leadership responsibility with 8 – 12 years as Project Manager
- Demonstrated ability to train/mentor less experienced engineers in Project Management and design skills
Primary Location: TX-Amarillo
Other Locations: TX-Lubbock
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...