The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Engineering Equipment Operator 10/CDL.
The Engineering Equipment Operator 10/CDL operates heavy duty engineering equipment that may include: backhoe, hoe ram, tractor with a front end loader, cranes, dump trucks, and equipment with attachments such as pile drivers, drag buckets, backfill tampers, clam shells, paving breakers, etc.
• Operates front end loader to transfer earth, broken pavement, etc., from ground level to truck or to backfill excavation. Loads sand, salt, gavel, etc. Operates loader in connection to snow removal program.
• Operates backhoe to excavate the ground for repair, replacement, and maintenance activities associated with mains, fire hydrants, valves, etc.
• Operates construction equipment to lift materials, such as pipes, plates, fire hydrants, valves, fittings, etc.
• Exercises extreme caution to avoid any damages to underground utility lines, overhead wires, and nearby properties.
• When not operating equipment, provides manual work assistance to the crew in the completion of the work. Assists crews in clean up. Directs traffic when needed.
• Performs minor maintenance on equipment. This includes performing pre-trip and post-trip inspections and taking corrective actions. Performs routine maintenance such as lubrication, securing hydraulic or mechanical connections, cleaning and spot painting equipment, and replenishing fuel.
• Prepares daily and special reports, including accident and incident reports. Equipment report must properly identify any operational and mechanical problems and other conditions.
• Responsible for the safe operation and transport of equipment.
• Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the supervisor.
• High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate and four (4) years of experience that involves the operation of gasoline, diesel, or other powered engine equipment designed for excavation, lifting and hauling.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s Permit, Commercial Driver’s License (Class B), D.C. Operating Engineer’s Licenses Class 7B and Class 7D, and a DC Water Vehicle Endorsement.
• Ability to safely operate construction equipment and skills in the use of the different sets of controls and attachments.
• Skills to use powered equipment to effectively perform excavation and surface grading.
• Thorough knowledge of the city streets and roads to be able to respond to emergency calls in the shortest period of time and avoid heavy traffic.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and push or pull up to 100 pounds.
• In event that an offer is extended, the candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination and drug screening.
• The incumbent is subject to being placed on call during hours and schedule identified by the Authority and may be required to work overtime during emergencies.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
DC Water distributes drinking water and collects and treats wastewater for more than 600,000 residential, commercial and governmental...