This is a two-year, 20 hour per week internship position in the Public Works Department, Design Engineering Division. Work schedule is to be determined. There are currently two vacancies but this number is subject to change. This recruitment is open until filled and can close at any time.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SUCCESSFUL PERFORMERS
A successful performer is self-motivated, willing to learn and able to work well in a team environment. Successful performers must also have good verbal and written communication skills, and a professional and courteous attitude. Must possess the ability to work independently and make sound decisions. Organization and time management skills are essential in order to bring a given task to completion. In addition, performers must have the ability to adapt to a variety of computer programs.
Essential Functions Include But Are Not Limited To:
Under the direction of Design Engineering staff, the intern assists with the preparation of engineering drawings and estimates; prepares and modifies spreadsheets, project displays, and various reports; conducts data research, field investigations, and responds to the public and other agencies; performs a variety of general office tasks; and performs other related functions as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an UNDERGRADUATE Civil Engineering program (Sophomore or Junior level is preferred). Not open to Graduate/Post-Graduate students.
- Must have ample knowledge of computer software such as AutoCAD and/or Microstation and Microsoft Office applications.
- Possess and retain a valid Class C California driver's license with good driving record.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred but not required.
Applications must be submitted online. Click on the "Apply" link located at the top of this page. New users must create an account first. Click on this link for instructions on how to set up your account and apply for the first time: Online Employment Application Guide .
PLEASE ATTACH THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION (IF YOU DO NOT ATTACH THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE):
The Personnel Services and Public Works Departments will review all applications and materials submitted. Those candidates who possess the most pertinent qualifications will be invited for an oral interview by the hiring agency. If you have any questions about the job duties, please call Sean Thomas at (714) 647-5655, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions related to the application, please call Maribel Carmona at (714) 647-5353, or email her at email@example.com .
- Resume detailing all qualifications as they relate to this position and its requirements. Also indicate your expected graduation date.
- Letter of Interest describing career goals and reason for seeking Design Engineering Internship.
- References - List names, addresses and phone numbers of three references, one of which must be a current or former professor (you may list these in the "References" section of the application or attach a list)
- Proof of current enrollment in an accredited Engineering Program. Please attach a copy of your unofficial transcripts which lists your name, your school's name, your major, and the classes in which you are enrolled)
The City of Santa Ana is an equal opportunity employer. If you consider yourself a person with a disability, you may contact us regarding providing reasonable accommodation.
City of Santa Ana - 17 months ago