Job Category: Operations
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Job ID: 805507-90942
Division: Online Services Division
This Job is eligible for the following work arrangements :Flex Time;TeleWork
Global Foundation Services is the team behind the cloud. GFS is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
As a senior network engineer, this position will work with the Office365 product teams to design networks that support both current and future product initiatives. This position will work with the architecture team to develop roadmaps for new technology introduction, as well as be responsible for the configuration and capacity management and planning of the existing network. This role will also develop deployment guides and documentation for the implementation and operations teams; creation of design specifications and proof of concepts for tooling and monitoring improvements.
Roles & Responsibilities
Skills & Qualificactions
- Develop a technical roadmap for major online services network infrastructure
- Provide technical expertise to perform root cause analysis of service interrupting incidents; develop and implement strategies to prevent recurrence
- Create or propose technical solutions when faced with a new complex systems design or process issue, where little or no precedent exists
- Take responsibility for prioritizing critical, competing tasks that may lack clear end results.
- Effectively apply influence strategies and negotiation skills to impact decisions and make trade-offs based on TCO and risk
- Drive operational improvements upstream into product development efforts
- Drive creation and execution of documentation, process and procedure improvements to streamline and optimize work performed
- 7+ years of Network and Information Technology work and related experience
- Production experience with MS products including Windows and SQL server
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the strong ability to work cross-team
- Solid working knowledge and experience with PowerShell, C#, VBScript, or Jscript or similar interpreted languages; ability to rapidly adapt defined specifications into scripts/programs to eliminate need for repetitive manual work.
- Multi-vendor, multi-platform experience
Expert-level knowledge, experience, and ability troubleshooting and producing designs that leverage protocols such as MSTP, 802.1q, 802.1AX, OSPF, ISIS, BGP, MPLS, LDP, VRFetc.
Candidates must be able to meet all federal government security screening requirements as indicated for this role. Federal security screening requirements call for applicant to verify U.S. Citizenship. Additional customer screening requirements may include additional items such as, but not limited to: specialized agency background checks (either national or local) and fingerprinting, as well as the ability to obtain a government personnel security clearance. All employees hired into roles supporting Cloud Offerings will also be required to pass Microsoft background checks prior to the start of employment and every two years thereafter.
- Working knowledge, experience, and ability with TCP internals and other L4-7 protocols and technologies such as: SSL, HTTP, DNS, NTP, Local Load Balancing, Global Load Balancing, Netmon/Wireshark, etc.
- 2+ years as a manager in an IT or product development organization
- Experience with monitoring and management frameworks, including Nagios, Openview, Truecontrol, and SMARTS InCharge
- Experience in developing security hardening procedures, security best practices, and policy implementation
- Familiar with debugging large-scale systems
- Experience with data analysis skills and statistical tools
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Management Information Systems, or other technical field.
- CCIE / JNCI* certification a plus
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the work place.
Microsoft - 20 months ago
Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's...