KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ: KLAC), a leading provider of process control and yield management solutions, partners with customers around the world to develop state-of-the-art storage, compound semiconductor, photovoltaic, and other related nanoelectronics industries. With a portfolio of industry-standard products and a team of world-class engineers and scientists, the company has created superior solutions for its customers for over 35 years. Headquartered in Milpitas, California, KLA-Tencor has dedicated customer operations and service centers around the world. Additional information may be found at www.kla-tencor.com .
Candela Division is the leader in development of inspection and metrology tools in the hard disk drive and HBLED market. It has a rapid product development lifecycle.
This position is part of a multi disciplinary team that designs semiconductor process inspection system with applications in Gowth and Emerging Markets served by KLA-Tencor. The candidate will be part of a dynamic hardware engineering group that is involved in developing and supporting the next generation defect inspection tools as well as improving existing systems. The group consists of a number of scientists and engineers dedicated to designing, characterizing, and developing prototype and Beta hardware to meet next generation requirement for defect inspection of hard disk media and wafer substrates used in the HBLED manufacturing process.
Roles and Responsibilities
Position is responsible for next generation system design projects to characterize and improve system measurement performance, reliability, and throughput. The product development engineer will work on the development of complex products and will be responsible for understanding top level specs and translating them into subsystem requirements. He or she will also be responsible developing error budgets, supervising development projects and testing. The job includes hands on activities like conducting on tool and on bench experiments as well as data analysis. The Candidate will perform a critical role in analysis of system and optical issues, understand the current designs, learn the calibrations and perform sensitivity analyses, and be responsible for resolution of issues in Manufacturing and in the field. The candidate will also help improve the methods and techniques used to build, install, and deploy at key customer sites, as well as develop improved calibration and alignment procedures to solve problems in the factory and the field.
1. Understand and contribute in system and sub-system architecture, design, and interface issues. Understand and ensure compatibility with all system level interfaces. Review and approve system requirements and design documents.
2. Partition the system based on high-level system requirements to meet business needs i.e. time to market, cost, performance, minimize risk.
3. Establish and maintain a complete system error budget, ensure the system will meet the system requirements,
4. Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, Identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies
5. Write and/or approve the Interface Control Documents between key subsystems and key suppliers,
6. Influence designers and designs to include features that will optimize performance, manufacturability, maintainability, diagnostics, cycle time, COGS, quality and reliability,
7. Contribute to and work with product marketing on strategic plans to clarify the market need in terms of system requirements.
8. Ensure a plan exists for testing, verification and validation of all system specifications,
9. Resolve system level issues for released systems
10. Apply learning from released systems into new designs
11. Use and reinforce dfX and Systems Engineering principles
1. Experience with the design of subsystem for a complex system including conducting design reviews, part procurement, test, integration into the system and ECO release, with all required documentation.
2. Able to own one or more subsystems and the integration of those subsystems into a whole system. Includes resolving complex technical issues, interface issues, and other cross functional problems.
3. Able to develop concepts and designs for the next generation system. Investigate next generation opto-mechanical technology and analysis.
4. Able to create the project plans, schedules, SOW, and lead complex projects, influencing and establishing key relationships with the project team, including vendors.
5. Experience providing significant contributions to the design for complex outsourced subsystems, including specification writing, design reviews with the vendor, build, test, acceptance and successful integration into a system. Able to lead the outsourcing effort for some modules and subsystems.
6. Good problem solver and demonstrated ability to resolve complex electrical problems for released systems using a methodical problem solving approach.
7. The candidate must be a self-motivated individual with the ability to multi task and work independently and in a team. Strong written and verbal communications skills are needed for extensive interaction with vendors and team members. This position requires hands on engineer with solid SE fundamentals. The ideal candidate will have the inherent desire to expand his knowledge through self study and training. Familiarity with signal integrity, electrical noise and grounding is a plus.
1. Leadership - Is a recognized expert in area of expertise, works well with all levels in divisions or outside groups
2. Communication - Able to communicate effectively to all levels of the division, with the various inter-divisional engineering groups, customers, vendors and cultures.
3. Technical presentation - Able to give effective technical presentations to all levels in the company, and at customer and vendor sites
4. Problem solving capability - Able to diagnose and drive complex problems across whole systems or organizations and apply appropriate problem solving technique. Able to uncover root cause and to devise and drive innovative analysis and solutions for complex problems
5. Decision making - Able to support the detailed analysis and tradeoffs for the various solutions, and provide input on which solution to implement, making the best use of cross functional engineering teams
1. Master's/Ph. D.
1. Master's/Ph. D. degree
2. Understanding of system level design architecture
3. Advantage - Experience in the semiconductor capital equipment design industry
Equal Employment Opportunity
KLA-Tencor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KLA-Tencor is hard-core when it comes to hunting down chip flaws. One of the world's largest makers of process control equipment for...