How to Apply
Please complete the entire online application along with any prescreening questions that pertain to this opportunity. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
About Us - Winery
Over seventy-five years ago, with humble beginnings, brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo began E. & J. Gallo Winery. Today, we are the world's largest family-owned winery. We distribute wines to 90 countries and are the largest exporter of California wine. E. & J. Gallo Winery employs a creative and talented team of more than 5,000 people.
We truly believe that the contributions of our employees are what make our Winery a dominant force in the ever-growing wine industry.
If you want to work with great people and enjoy a career in a dynamic industry expected to double in the next 10 years, see what opportunities await you at E. & J. Gallo Winery!
Full Time/Part Time
Performs enology functions associated with the winemaking process for assigned locations across all wine varieties and brands. Responsible for influencing the growing of grapes, the production of wines, and the quality of wine delivered to the consumer.
- Functions as liaison between winemaking and production.
- Partners with production personnel to coordinate work order execution.
- Coordinates the work order process.
- Reviews wine analysis, tank top inspection reports; communicates out-of-specification wines to winemakers.
- Participates in monitoring fermentation activity and analysis/management of grapes received during harvest.
- Supports the wine production processes across all wine varieties and brands.
- Maintains and sorts data from winemaking trials, experiments and wine processing operations.
- Participates in bench trials; conducts and manages certain trials and experiments.
- Manages sample requests and inventory tasting.
- Participates in the management of winery workflow processes using internal company software system.
- Manages shared complex spreadsheets (mainly MS Excel and MS Access).
- Participates in berry sensory analysis and fundamental vineyard assessments.
- Participates in wine tasting and sensory evaluation.
- Monitors wine/brandy quality.
- Maintains satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations.
- If accountable for the work of others, responsible for ensuring their understanding and compliance.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Participates in training and mentoring interns or seasonal employees as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Fermentation Science, Enology, Food Science, Microbiology or Chemistry OR 4 years of enology experience.
- Experience working at least one grape harvest in production winemaking.
- Required to possess a valid driver's license and clean DMV record.
- Required to lift and move case of product which can weigh up to 45 pounds.
- Required to possess the color vision necessary to judge and evaluate wine color.
- Required to taste and evaluate wines.
- Required to be 21 years of age or older due to wine tasting.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Bachelor's degree in Fermentation Science, Enology, Food Science or Chemistry plus 3 years of enology experience.
- Experience reading, analyzing and interpreting general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Experience writing reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Experience presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint at an intermediate level.
- Skilled in working with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry, trigonometry and algebra.
- Skilled in applying concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Experience solving practical problems and dealing with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Experience interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Work under different climatic conditions.
- Experience following established procedures to performing tasks that are routine in nature, requiring some evaluation, originality or ingenuity.
- Skilled in the fundamentals of wine chemistry, wine microbiology and viticulture practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision (judging wine/brandy color).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee are occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud and requires ear protection.
E. & J. Gallo Winery - 13 months ago
E. & J. Gallo Winery brings merlot to the masses. The company is the world's largest family-owned winemaker, thanks in part to such...