Associates in our Event Services unit are responsible for supporting all client association meeting, convention, trade show and registration needs in an administrative, organizational and information gathering capacity in a timely and high quality manner.
The ideal candidate is an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. Associates require the ability to work quickly and efficiently on several projects at one time, are results oriented, have strong time management skills and work enthusiastically in a constantly changing environment. The position entails considerable interaction with clients, team members, and other departments within SmithBucklin. Significant travel, both domestic and international, may be required.
Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Assist and contribute to the planning of meetings, events, trade shows and registration (e.g. pre-show mailings, exhibitor customer service, searches for future sites, supplier coordination, sponsor fulfillment and tracking, sponsor correspondence, clerical support and post event support and evaluations).
- Pay close attention to detail, demonstrating accuracy and efficiency in financial reconciliation (process invoices, collect past due payments, reconcile monthly with accounting).
- Prepare stastical reports.
- Ensure that work is being carried out to specifications and deadlines.
- Ensure accurate and timely entering of records and information into database system for registration or exhibitor database.
- Immediately adapt to crisis situations by changing procedures, methods or processes.
- Facilitate continuous communication between SmithBucklin units, clients and exhibitors/sponsors, attendees, and suppliers to meet the needs of client organizations.
- Oversee and manage temporary staff (data entry, filing, etc).
- Travel and work overtime as needed to attend events and client meetings (may include weekends).
- Assist with planning responsibilities for multiple clients and meetings.
- Contribute to overall team success by identifying problems and proactively seeking out methods to improve self-performance and/or efficiency of an operation or task.
Who we are: SmithBucklin is a professional services company specializing in association management. We are the world's largest association management company, founded in 1949. The company provides full-service management and high-impact specialized services to trade associations, professional societies, technology user groups, corporations, government institutes/agencies and other nonprofit organizations. SmithBucklin's mission is to drive growth for its client organizations and provide uncompromised stewardship for their long-term prosperity. SmithBucklin offices are located in Chicago, IL, Washington, DC, Old Lyme, CT, Bethesda, MD, St. Louis, MO, Buffalo Grove, IL and St. Paul, MN. SmithBucklin is 100 percent employee-owned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 0-2 years total professional experience.
- 6-12 months experience in event planning environment preferred.
- Highly detail oriented.
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills including the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Apply analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service skills (phone skills, in person, email).
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues.
- A high degree of responsibility, initiative and professionalism.
- Proven competency in software applications, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other technology as adopted by the team.
- Must be travel enabled, including some weekends.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed.
SmithBucklin's Event Services unit provides convention, event and trade show management worldwide through the expertise of our meeting professionals, who manage every facet and detail of our client organizations' events. Our goal is to work closely with a client organization's leaders to create an enjoyable conference experience for all attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, while ensuring a successful outcome based on the organization's objectives. Our robust experience in meeting and event planning includes housing, registration, audio/visual, shuttle bus, food and beverage, site selections, contract negotiation, city-wide events, off site events, VIP events and VIP management. In addition, we carefully customize our exhibit and trade show services to meet client organization requirements and goals. Our professionals manage all facets of trade show management, including strategic show assessment; convention facility searches, general service contractor negotiation and management; sponsorship fulfillment; marketing support; floor plan management; online and onsite exhibit space selections; and onsite exhibit hall management.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/V/D
Our people make a meaningful difference in a wide range of diverse industries and professions, helping our client organizations achieve...