Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NasdaqGS: AGII) is an international underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. Argo Group offers a full line of products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims handling needs of businesses in four primary segments: Excess & Surplus Lines, Commercial Specialty, International Specialty and Syndicate 1200. Argo Group's insurance subsidiaries are A. M. Best-rated 'A' (Excellent) (third highest rating out of 16 rating classifications) with a stable outlook, and Argo's U.S. insurance subsidiaries are Standard and Poor's-rated 'A-' (Strong) with a stable outlook.
Colony Specialty (a member of Argo Group) has a dynamic new opportunity for an Environmental Underwriter to underwrite new business and renewals in the environmental underwriting division of Colony Specialty according to authority level and established guidelines and participate in special projects. This position can be located in either Atlanta, GA, Irvine, CA or Scottsdale, AZ .
- Underwrite Environmental risks for coverage lines including General Liability, Contractors Pollution Liability, Professional Liability, Premises Pollution Liability and Excess Liability.
- Review policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Market and manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or one to three years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 – 3 years Environmental Consulting experience desirable.
- One to three years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in Environmental or Casualty excess and surplus lines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU desirable.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to travel.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Proficient in the use of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.