The City of Grand Prairie is looking for Equipment Operators in the Asphalt Crew, Concrete Crew and Drainage Crew.
The purpose of this position is to operate various types of equipment in order to maintain the City's sidewalks and streets. This is accomplished by operating various equipment; maintaining streets and sidewalks throughout the City; laying drainage pipes; cleaning storm drains and drainage channels; performing code work; installing new guardrails; and completing roadwork for new construction. Other duties include performing preventative maintenance on equipment; and interacting with other City employees and citizens.
- Loads materials by running equipment such as: track loaders, rubber tire loaders, and dump trucks.
- Maintains streets and sidewalks throughout the City by sawing, breaking, digging, and setting forms; pouring and finishing concrete work; cutting and tying steel; and placing signs and barricades in roadways.
- Lays drainage pipes by assisting to set grades and level ditch lines; and assembling new drainage pipes.
- Completes roadwork for new construction by assisting in setting grade elevations; compacting sub base; water sub base; shoveling and picking to assist in making grades.
Skills / Requirements
- Performs preventative maintenance by inspecting and performing required maintenance and repairs of all equipment used.
Please click on the link below to apply for this or any other position. A new window will open and direct you to our log in page. After creating an account make sure to re-locate the position you wish to apply for and submit a resume. You can also sign up to receive periodic job updates. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes.
Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
- Over one year up to and including two years of equipment operated related experience.
- Valid Class A CDL Driver's License or must be able to obtain license within six months of employment.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
City of Grand Prairie - 15 months ago