Responsible for operating a variety of solid waste vehicles to collect and transport solid waste and recycling materials to the transfer station and/or landfill for disposal on a daily basis. Also, responsible for the efficient operation and care of assigned equipment.
Essential Job Functions
1) Maintain the functionality, appearance and safety of the equipment and/or facilities such as Transfer Station or Recycling Center in compliance with local, state and federal rules and regulations.
2) Remove and transport solid waste or recyclable materials for city residents, waste water treatment plants, and commercial businesses to transfer stations or landfill.
3) Maintain safe and efficient operation of solid waste collection and transport equipment and vehicles.
4) Perform pre-trip/ post-trip vehicle inspections and complete daily work sheet for equipment operated.
5) Keep work location and vehicle in order.
6) Respond to customer relations problems.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 6 months experience operating equipment related to solid waste
- Experience in customer service
Cross Functional Training - Level 1 Requirements
- General knowledge of safety standard practices governing the operation of vehicles
- Skill to operate controls for required equipment
- Ability to properly use, operate and care for tools, equipment and materials
- Ability to perform routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment
- Ability to read and understand vehicle operator's manual
- Ability to read and use city maps and documentation
- Little or no experience
- Primarily operates a piece of "green" equipment
- Bobcat Skid Loader
- Recycling truck
- Roll-Off truck
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class A Commercial Driver's license or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
Completion of a defensive driving course within six (6) months from date of hire
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent drives a vehicle from stop to stop and frequently exits and enters vehicle while collecting solid waste and/or recycling materials; frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. 8-10 hours drive time on a daily basis in all weather conditions. Must possess sufficient vision to accurately read written and typed documents.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency
Under and including one year of related experience
Class A Texas driver’s license
Ability to lift 50 pounds several times daily
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.