Responsible for operating a variety of solid waste vehicles to collect and transport solid waste and recycling materials to the transfer station and/or landfill for disposal on a daily basis. Responsible for operating ancillary equipment requiring additional skills other than driving ability. Also, responsible for the efficient operation and care of assigned equipment.
Essential Job Functions
Maintain the functionality, appearance and safety of the equipment and/or facilities such as Transfer Station or Recycling Center in compliance with local, state and federal rules and regulations.
Remove and transport solid waste or recyclable materials for city residents, waste water treatment plants, and commercial businesses to transfer stations or landfill.
Maintain safe and efficient operation of solid waste collection and transport equipment and vehicles.
Perform pre-trip/ post-trip vehicle inspections and complete daily work sheet for equipment operated.
Keep work location and vehicle in order.
Respond to customer relations problems.
May act as Field Training Officer for training new hires and cross-training existing EWS employees.
Assist disabled residents and customers with refuse container removal as needed.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Six months additional training past the high school level
- 3-5 years experience with a variety of solid waste and other automotive equipment
- Considerable knowledge of safety standard practices governing the operation of vehicles
- Considerable knowledge of relevant traffic laws
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, operation and servicing of trucks and related automotive equipment
- Skill to operate controls for required equipment; with greater dexterity than an Equipment Operator I level
- Ability to properly use, operate and care for tools, equipment and materials
- Ability to perform routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment
- Ability to read and understand vehicle operator’s manual
- Ability to read and use city maps and documentation
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class A Commercial Driver's license or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
Completion of a defensive driving course within six (6) months from date of hire
Certified to operate Automated Side-Loader, Front-Loader, Tractor Trailer and Drought, or Knuckle Boom Truck
May primarily operate one and able to operate two or more of the following pieces of equipment Bobcat Skid Loader, Brush Long truck, Rear-Loader, Recycling truck or Roll-off truck; and be qualified to operate one piece of the following equipment Automated Side-Loader, Front-Loader, Tractor Trailer and Drought, or Knuckle Boom truck
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works primarily in a vehicle while loading solid waste and recyclable materials; frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. 8-10 hours drive time on a daily basis in all weather conditions. Must possess sufficient vision to accurately read written and typed documents.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
3 years related experience with a variety of solid waste collection and transport vehicles
Class A Commercial Driver’s License
Ability to lift 50 pounds several times daily
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 12 months ago