Must have valid CDL and clean driving record at time of hire
This is skilled work in the safe and efficient operation of heavy and specialized automotive equipment and/or supervision of a crew engaged in maintenance or construction activities which includes minor repair and servicing. Work may involve filling in for a supervisor in his/her absence. Work is performed independently under the general direction of the supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed:
· Operates heavy equipment to perform assigned maintenance and construction tasks. Examples of equipment operated include, but are not limited to, street sweepers, bulldozers, large graders, scrapers, large backhoes, large ditch digging machines, semi tractor trailers and windrowing machines.
· Specializes in a specific operation and ensures that it is done well.
· Performs mechanical maintenance and service work on equipment operated.
· Assists supervisors in various phases of operations, including daily assignments of work tasks and completion of paperwork.
· These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
· Considerable knowledge of automotive equipment operation
· Knowledge of the tools, methods and materials used in construction and maintenance activities
· May require knowledge of methods used in making concrete, asphalt and brick repairs; or knowledge of paints, thinners and related supplies
· Skill in the care and operations of heavy and specialized equipment
· Ability to lead the work of others in maintenance operations
· Ability to work outdoors when inclement weather conditions exist
· Ability to tolerate exposure to airborne environmental nuisances associated with traffic and machine exhaust, open grounds, and construction
· Ability to safely and effectively use a chainsaw and/or a jackhammer
· Ability to tolerate equipment and machinery noise with the use of ear plugs
· Ability to continuously perform tasks that require one to push, pull, climb (ladders and in and out of vehicular equipment), bend, twist, reach, stand, and walk about (up to half a mile at a time) for most of an eight hour shift
· Ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds
· Ability to lift and carry up to 300 pounds with assistance from another person
· May require the ability to maneuver self into riding machines with two foot steep first step, and onto frame or fender as required to perform fluid/filter check daily and maintenance every 100 hours or as needed on mowers and plows
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
· Possession and ability to maintain a valid Kansas class A commercial driver's license (CDL)with tanker endorsement; or, depending on the position, class B with air brake and tanker endorsement.
· An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
One and one half years of experience in the operation of heavy or specialized automotive equipment used in construction or maintenance activities. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.
City of Wichita - 17 months ago