This recruitment will be established to fill a current vacancy, plus additional vacancies as they become available. Qualified applicants will remain eligible for consideration for one year.
This is skilled work providing safe and efficient service for a wide variety of vehicles, heavy equipment and machinery; maintaining records and monitoring and performing preventive maintenance procedures following recommended service schedules.
WHO MAY APPLY: This recruiting effort is open to all qualified applicants. Hiring preference will be given to King County employees who are members of the Teamsters, Local No. 117 Joint Units Agreement.
WORK SCHEDULE: The work schedule for these positions is generally 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. This position will be assigned to one of 3 work schedules, Monday through Friday 6am to 2:30pm, Monday through Friday 11am to 7:30pm or 4 10 hour days Tuesday through Friday 6am to 4:30pm. This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is therefore overtime-eligible. Alternative schedules may be required along with mandatory overtime.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS REQUIRED: Please respond to the supplemental questions, submit a cover letter and resume detailing your background, experience and qualifications, copies of certifications and/or special licenses, a minimum of (3) reference contacts of current and former supervisors within the past five (5) years and a driving record for the past 3 years.
• Changes, rotates, repairs and balances tires on County vehicles and off-road equipment, excluding buses. This position requires emphasis on these duties as well as overseeing the tire recapping process and making recommendations to management.
• Perform road calls for tire servicing and equipment lube services
• Performs preventive maintenance and safety inspections on vehicles
• Performs lubrication duties on machinery, including oil servicing, oil sampling, greasing, oil change, filter changes and oil flow rate adjustment
• Processes oil samples for various lubrication and hydraulic systems for analysis, track and file
• Selects appropriate lubricants for machinery
• Maintains multiple oil supply rooms and collection sites
• Develops and writes procedures for lubrication functions
• Lubricates and winterizes vehicles and equipment
• Researches and documents differences in machinery lubrication and filtration systems and recommends improvements and modifications
• Performs light-duty mechanical maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment
• Replaces bulbs, wipers, fan belts, batteries and hoses
• Adjusts brakes and does minor tune-ups
• Troubleshoots and isolates machinery noise, vibrations and temperature increases in bearings
• Maintains records and logs on a computer as required
• Fuels, hand and pressure washes and steam cleans vehicles and equipment
• Moves and stores equipment
• Picks up and delivers parts and materials
• Responds to emergencies (i.e. ice, snow, flooding) for vehicles on road and service calls and performs above services
• Opens and closes work orders and schedules inspections
• Must be able to work independently when necessary
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
• Knowledge of tire safety characteristics, tire repair processes and regulations
• Knowledge of general lubrication requirements
• Knowledge in the use of basic hand and air tools
• Knowledge of a variety of vehicles
• Communications skills (oral and written)
• Basic mathematics skills
• Skill in distinguishing different types of oils and lubricants
• Skill in driving different types of oversize vehicles
• Skill needed in organizing own work
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Ability to have predictable and reliable attendance
Minimally qualified candidates will have:
A minimum of 3 years of experience servicing and maintaining heavy duty diesel and light fleet automotive equipment, OR
any combination of education and experience that provides the candidate with the knowledge and skills set forth above.
Necessary Special Requirements:
• Washington State Driver’s License
• Commercial Driver’s License with Class B and air brake endorsement (within 90 days of employment)
UNION REPRESENTATION: These positions are represented by Teamsters, Local No. 117 Joint Units Agreement.
King County - 15 months ago
King County provides regional services to over 1.9 million residents including more than 340,000 people living in unincorporated areas....