T.B. Penick & Sons, Inc. is currently accepting resumes for Estimators . In this role you will work as part of the estimating staff to prepare bid packages for both negotiated and public works projects in a diverse market including education, commercial development, multi-story and subterranean parking structures, design build, RFP, Federal work, healthcare (OSHPD) and MACC. You will be responsible for the complete preparation of hard bid and occasionally budgetary estimates. With the support of estimating assistants and take-off personnel, the estimator will function as the supervisor for the complete estimate preparation process.
Specific tasks will include: Identifying projects to bid, evaluating project scope of work; determining subcontractor requirements then soliciting and analyzing subcontractor quotations, clarifying bid documents via RFI’s, estimating self performed work and comparing values to historical data, procuring material quotes, coordinating bid delivery, evaluating market conditions and competition on each estimate.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess strong leadership skills, have a proven track record of securing profitable work, be able to maintain positive interoffice relationships, and provide a smooth transition of complete information to the Chief Estimator and Field Teams. Knowledge of the local economy and local contacts (Owners, Designers, Subcontractors, etc.) is very important.
Duties will include but are not limited to reviewing proposal specification and drawings to determine the scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Prepare cost estimates by calculating complete takeoff.
- Create detailed cost estimate based on project scope.
- Develop the scope of work for sub-contractors.
- Optimize job costs by negotiating prices with vendors/sub-contractors through quotations for material/services.
- Interface with Owners, PMs and Superintendents to provide engineering and cost data on Design/Build estimates and change order preparation.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to perform these duties successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Maintain file of working documents as back-up for estimating database, including current information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
Qualifications include a bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering or related discipline, or equivalent combination of technical training and experience. A minimum of five years experience in estimating. Knowledge of computerized estimating systems and cost data bases and word processing software is required.
Software skills: Strong Excel knowledge required.
- Proven track for Construction Estimating with a focus on sustainable job profitability – 5 years minimum.
- Ability to provide vision and leadership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented, logical, and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to plan and schedule the work of others.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Salary above listed limits may be negotiable for the proper candidate.
- Some travel may be required.
Company offers a comprehensive and competitive employee benefits package in our industry. Our program addresses both the immediate and long-term needs that you and your family may have. Benefits include:
- Employer pays 100% of Employee premiums for medical, dental and life insurance.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
Please apply online at www.tbpenick.com or fax your resume to 858-558-1881
- Laptop & Cell phone provided
EOE—Post offer drug screening and proof of employment eligibility is required.