Public Works Department is seeking for part-time unbenefited Recreation Leaders working as Event Captains in supporting coordinations of events occurred at City Hall.
Under general supervision of the Event Services Manager and Facility Sound and Light Technician, Event Captains control and monitor the customer contact, and monitor and provide support for special events. Event Captains may support special events and theatre performances by setting up and monitoring audio visual and theatrical services; verifying equipment setups for events; resolving customer issues and complaints; and responding to emergency situations during events. The on site Event Captain monitors and directs event staff such as ushers, ticket takers, security, crowd control, outside contractors, and enforces Safety and Fire Marshall Regulations.
Due to the nature of the job responsibilities, the Event Captains must be able to:
-work extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed;
-stand and/or walk for extended periods of time;
-lift and carry items weighting between 25 and 50 pounds on an as needed basis;
-comprehend verbal and written instructions, floor plans;
-prepare post event reports.
The ideal candidate will possess a high level of professionalism, excellent customer service skills and a strong work ethic. The positions require excellent judgment, initiative, perseverance, integrity, organizational skills, flexibility, and written and verbal communication skills.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
*Education: Completion of high school, General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate.
*Licenses or Certificates:
-Possession of a valid State of California Driver's License may be required.
-Possession of a valid first aid certificate may be required.
-Possession of a valid CPR certificate may be required.
*Necessary Special Qualification
Those applicants in their last semester of high school are permitted to apply, but will be required to provide proof of graduation prior to obtaining a work assignment.
*Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Covered by the Living Wage Policy effective July 1, 2013, this classification starts at $17.03 per hour for part-time unbenefited employees. These positions are part-time unbenefited, with a limit of less than 20 hours per week or less than 1,040 hours per year.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
-Experience in special event supervision, theater production, people management, and/or technical support; Ability to operate and troubleshoot a wide rage of technical production equipment.
-Possession of a valid First Aid certificate is highly desirable.
-Possession of a valid CPR certificate is highly desirable.
*Communication Skills: Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both orally and in writing with the ability to update clients and managers of changes or issues during events.
*Customer Service - demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
*Decision Making / Resolving Conflict: Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Recognizes and appropriately responds to a variety of conditions affecting participant SAFETY.
- Effectively manages conflict in a recreation setting.
- Uses appropriate interpersonal skills to reduce tension or conflict between two or more participants or customers.
*Reliability - completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate
*Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
*Flexibility: Willing and able to work extended/irregular hours including nights, week-ends and holidays.
*Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the positions will be forwarded to the next phase of the selection process, which will include an oral interview, reference check, physical exam, and fingerprinting.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
YOU MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS DURING THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
1. Do you posses a valid driver's license authorizing the operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California? If yes, please provide the number and expiration date.
2. Do you have a high school diploma, General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate?
3. Are you certified in CPR? Proof will be requested at time of interview.
4. Are you certified in first aid? Proof will be requested at time of interview.
5. This position requires the ability to perform essential physical functions, one of which is to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time. Are you willing and able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time?
6. Do you have experience in special events, catering, banquets and/or theater performance? Please describe your experience in any of the aforementioned areas.
7. Have you ever had to deal with issues/problems during an event or at work? Please describe your experience problem solving during an event.
8. Do you have any type of training or certification that is relevant to special events, theater, and/or technical support? Please list any training, certifications or course work.
9. Have you had to enforce a policy with a client or customer? If yes, provide an example. (Your response to this question will be used to assess your writing skills.)
10. Do you have experience in event and production equipment/systems? List specific event and production equipment and/or systems that you are proficient in operating. Please give examples on how you have used them.
11. Are you willing and able to lift and carry items weighting between 25 and 50 pounds on an as needed basis?
12. Are you willing and able to work extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays?
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please contact Zoe McChesney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
Employees in this classification are represented by Municipal Employee's Federation (MEF), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
Ability to perform the essential physical functions of this position will be determined by a post-offer medical examination conducted by City of San Jose Employee Health Services.