Responsible for overseeing the planning, marketing and operations of City-sponsored events and managing marketing activities for Parks and Recreation.
Essential Job Functions
Oversee the administration and business operations for City-wide special events including development and management of marketing, budget and advertisement plans.
Develop and manage a comprehensive marketing plan that meets the vision and mission of the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department.
Coordinate planning and marketing of community initiated events with other City departments and related organizations.
Negotiate event contracts and professional service agreements for outsourced services.
Design, prepare and distribute promotional materials and agenda items to promote City-wide and department events including design, layout, edit and provide photography and graphics for publications, flyers and brochures.
Coordinate relationships with print, television and radio media for effective promotions.
Ensure consistency in messaging and branding through all marketing.
Develop and maintain forms, statistical reports, and related documents for events and promotions.
Coordinate and oversee staff, volunteers and vendors at City events and promotions.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Event Planning, Recreation, Marketing or similar field of study
- 2-4 years experience in Recreation, Marketing or Event Planning
- Internet and online marketing experience
Licenses & Certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and techniques used in planning, coordinating, and servicing a variety of recreational, industrial, and educational events.
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices in marketing and promoting citywide programs and events
- Comprehensive knowledge of governmental regulations for public events
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of City staff and officials, vendors and citizens
- Comprehensive knowledge of the English language and proper rules of grammar
- Comprehensive knowledge of marketing principles
- Advanced skills in operating typical office management systems
- Advanced skills in utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Skill in operating a personal computer, copier, fax machine, printer, recording machine, scanner, etc.
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
First Aid, CPR and AED certification
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. The incumbent must be able to hear and speak effectively to communicate by telephone and in person. Also, must have visual acuity to read documents and for use of personal computer; on occasion may be requested to lift up to 25 pounds.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
4 years college degree
2 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.