The City of San Jose invites applicants for the position of Executive Analyst or Senior Executive Analyst in the Office of Employee Relations, a division of the City Manager¿s Office. The Office of Employee Relations¿ primary functions are: labor negotiations, administration of labor contracts, employee performance and conduct issues, employee-related policy development and interpretation, and concerns/complaints related to discrimination and harassment. The Office of Employee Relations also manages the City of San Jose¿s Whistleblower Hotline, where City employees, customers and residents can raise concerns about City services.
Some of the duties of the position may include:
*Researching and analyzing labor contract issues
*Interpreting employee union contracts
*Participating in various aspects of labor negotiations, including potentially leading negotiations with the City's eleven (11) bargaining units
*Conducting surveys of other employers regarding pay and benefits
*Developing and interpreting employee-related policies, including conducting personnel investigations
*Handling various employee relations issues
*Carrying out other special projects as assigned
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Completion of a Bachelor's Degree in public administration, business administration or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Executive Analyst I: None
Executive Analyst II: Two (2) years of professional level analytic and/or administrative experience.
Senior Executive Analyst: Four (4) years of professional level analytic and/or administrative experience. A Master's Degree in public administration, business administration or related field is preferred, and can be substituted for a portion of the required experience.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of skills, abilities, and experience. These include:
*Honesty and Integrity
*Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative
*Strong work ethic
*Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
*Excellent organizational skills
*Excellent analytical skills
*Excellent verbal and written communication skills
*Excellent computer skills
*Ability to appropriately handle very sensitive and confidential information
*Ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging situations
In addition, desirable knowledge, skills, and experience for this position include:
Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
Initiative - exhibits self directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
Maintaining Personal Credibility/Meeting Ethical Standards - When confronted with ethical dilemmas, acts in a way that reflects relevant law, policy and procedures, agency values, and personal values.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
* Apply online and complete an application profile
* Answer core questions online
* Separately submit a cover letter, resume and job - specific question responses by mail or email to Elsa Patel.
This position is open until filled. If you are a qualified interested candidate, you may be considered for this position by applying online AND submitting a cover letter and resume, detailing your interest and qualifications relevant to the position. In addition, responses to Supplemental Questions (see below) are required.
COVER LETTERS, RESUMES AND JOB-SPECIFIC QUESTION RESPONSES MUST BE SUBMITTED DIRECTLY TO:
City of San Jose-Office of Employee Relations
200 E. Santa Clara Street, 3rd Floor Wing
San Jose, CA 95113-1905
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS NOT SUBMITTED AS DESCRIBED WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
After a careful review of applications, a limited number of applicants will be invited to participate in an interview process.
Responding to the following job-specific questions is required for all applicants and must be submitted along with the resume and a cover letter. Responses to questions #1-4 should not exceed a total of three (3) pages. The question responses will be used to assist in the selection of applicants that will be invited to participate in an interview process.
1. What interests you about working in the City of San José's Office of Employee Relations? For applicants who are not current City of San José employees, please include a description of the factors that influenced you to apply to work for the City of San José and specifically this position in the Office of Employee Relations.
2. Please describe your particular skills and abilities that you believe would make you a successful member of the Office of Employee Relations with a focus on skills and abilities related to labor relations.
3. Please describe your experience in handling extremely confidential information, including the nature of the information and the steps you took to maintain confidentiality.
4. FOR APPLICANTS WITH PRIOR LABOR/EMPLOYEE RELATIONS EXPERIENCE: Please describe your prior experience in labor negotiations, handling employee grievances and/or employee relations issues. Please be specific about the amount of experience and your particular role. (For example, how many contract negotiations have you been involved in and what was your role and responsibility during those negotiations?)
FOR APPLICANTS WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE IN LABOR/EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Please describe previous work experience where you demonstrated your judgment, analytical skills and/or conflict resolution abilities.
This position is a full-time salaried position with an excellent benefits program.
*The approximate annual starting salary for an Executive Analyst I position is $56,878.
*The approximate annual starting salary for an Executive Analyst II position is $62,050.
*The approximate annual starting salary for a Senior Executive Analyst position is $71,877.
Employees in this position are in the City¿s Executive Management group and are not members of the classified civil service system.
If you have questions about this position, please email Elsa Patel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
City of San Jose - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard -