The Entertainment District, located in downtown Kalamazoo is expanding its food operations and is seeking an experienced Executive Chef who is capable of handling five menus, three kitchens, and a high end private event center which will seat three hundred people.
This position coordinates the activities of and directs the training of cooks, and other kitchen personnel engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure an efficient and profitable food service. The control of food, supplies and labor expenses to meet or exceed budget lies solely on this position. The Executive Chef must ensure the highest standards of food quality and proper quantity are maintained and that preparation is done in an efficient and cost effective manner. This position is responsible for overseeing the kitchen sanitation procedures as well as providing a healthy and safe work environment.
A minimum of 2 years experience at the Executive Chef level in a large operation with multiple food outlets that also has emphasis on banquet environments with a high volume food production, is required. Secondary education in culinary is required. Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and POS programs is a must.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must have a sense for timing and urgency. Must be able to complete talks and projects in a timely manner by prioritizing obligations and time. Must have excellent customer service skills, both written and verbal. Must be highly motivated with a positive attitude and have the ability to multi-task. Must possess the ability to work with various personalities while maintaining impartiality. Must accept constructive criticism as a means of growth, must be a working chef and have the ability to work on the line when needed.
Interview, hire, train, evaluate, and discipline employees. Attend all meetings requested.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to lift more than 50 lbs., push heavy carts, and bend, stoop, and reach high shelving.
Regularly required to stand for long periods of time.
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires the ability to interact with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with an emergency. Must be able to effectively handle stressful and compromising situations while remaining focused and professional. Must be able to deal with difficult people without losing perspective. Must be able to work productively under strict time restraints with variable deadlines.
Must be willing and able to work in a fast-paced, sometimes crowded, loud, warm, hot and humid environment. May be required to work in a confined space. Must follow all safety policies, procedures and standards as set by OSHA and the Health Department. Must be able to work flexible hours including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Base Salary negotiable, 401k, Health Insurance Contribution, Sick Days, Holidays, Profitability Bonuses.
Job Qualifications Include:
· Plans or participates in planning menus and utilization of food surpluses and leftovers, taking into account probable number of guests, marketing conditions, popularity of various dishes, and newness of menu.
· Estimates food consumption and purchases or requisitions foodstuffs and kitchen supplies.
· Reviews menus, analyzes recipes, determines food, labor, and overhead costs, and assigns prices to menu items.
· Directs food apportionment policy to control costs.
· Supervises cooking and other kitchen personnel and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production.
· Observes methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods to ensure food is prepared in prescribed recipes.
· Check quality of all prepared foods by taste, temperature, smell, portioning and appearance, ensuring the highest quality food products are available to our guests. Monitor for consistency and adherence with special attention to details, ensure the close
· Devises special dishes and develop new recipes.
· Familiarizes newly hired Chefs and Cooks with practices of kitchen and oversees training of Cook Apprentices.
· Establishes and enforces nutrition and sanitation standards for restaurant.
· Keep waste and spoilage to a minimum by proper rotation, storage, and usage of all food items. Maintain all par levels.
· Practice all safety policies, procedures and standards as set by OSHA and the Health Department/FDA Food Code.
· Administrative duties including scheduling, evaluating performance, discipline employees.
· Generate excitement and unity throughout the department to enhance the experience for our guests and the employees.
· Delegate daily, weekly, and monthly assignments to the culinary staff.
· Establish and maintain a strong relationship with vendors, other departments, frontline staff and upper management.
· Work well under pressure and meet deadlines effectively.
· Good rapport with fellow employees and reflect positive attitude.
· Report to work on time, in uniform and with proper tools.
· Complete all assignments requested of you.
· Must follow proper grooming and dress standards set forth by the Employee Handbook.
· Maintain open line of communication with supervisor.
· Must be able to work long hours.
· Required to work weekends and all holidays.
· Must understand and abide by environmental practices of the resort.
Entertainment District-Downtown Kalamazoo - 17 months ago