The Executive Director Legal is responsible for general legal support for the Company's commercial operations, including contract preparation and negotiation, FDA promotion and fraud and abuse review, and counseling. This individual is also responsible for providing general legal support in other areas of the business as needed. PLEASE REFER TO JOB CODE 1013 WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION.
Education and/or Experience: :
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.:
- Provides prompt legal counsel to client groups on commercial, regulatory and compliance aspects of sales and marketing and other business activities.
- Provides timely advice and counsel to internal client groups, on how to meet business goals while maintaining compliance with required laws, regulations and Acorda policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with assigned client areas to identify, assess and address general legal concerns, and develops focused advice and solutions.
- Drafts and negotiates various vendor, distribution, consulting, speaker, advertising, service and other agreements for commercial operations.
- Analyzes product promotional initiatives, ad board proposals and speaker programs for fraud, abuse and general compliance.
- Acts as legal representation on cross-functional teams.
- Interacts with internal business clients at various levels of management and across the Company.
- Manages legal risks appropriately in assigned client areas.
- Resolves both routine and complex legal issues based on application of existing polices and relevant laws and regulations.
- Acts as a liaison with outside counsel and other professionals to develop appropriate solutions for Acorda.
- Undertakes ongoing performance review, feedback and development of staff.
- Assists with talent recruitment and leads a highly motivated, efficient and effective team.
Supervisory Responsibilities: :
- Juris Doctor required and admission to and in good standing with the bar of at least one state or the District of Columbia required.
- A minimum of 10 -15 years progressive legal experience.
- Previous law firm experience and in-house experience with a biotech or pharmaceutical company required.
- Prior experience working with industry sales and marketing issues, including FDA promotion and fraud and abuse, required.
- Prior experience with contract drafting and negotiation required.
- Other industry legal experience, including in the area of managed markets, preferred.
- This position supervises – one or more Attorneys.
- Provides guidance to subordinates based on organizational goals and company policies.
- General business and commercial law experience required, including drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts.
- Detailed understanding of the pharmaceutical and/or generics industry is required.
- Must have the ability to build trust and maintain open and honest relationships through clear communication, alignment of goals and mutually acceptable solutions.
Must be proficient in MS Office Suite
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations::
Other Skills and Abilities: :
Location: Corporate Office:
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and analytical skills.
- Excellent project management and teamwork skills.
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation, skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills and a proven ability to work on multiple projects at any given time.
- Ability to manage both day-to-day operations as well as project work in a fast paced environment.
This position requires the ability to work on-site 5 days per week in the Corporate Office located in Ardsley, NY.
Physical Demands: :
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position requires domestic travel (including overnight stays) to attend meetings and conferences. Average travel for this position is 5-10% with some variation based upon the time of year and demands of the business imperatives.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
No specific work demands.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.