Overview of the organization and opportunity
The Board of Directors of the New England Air Museum (NEAM) seeks a dynamic, forward-looking professional to serve as its next executive director and lead the museum into the future. With the upcoming retirement of its dedicated long-serving leader, NEAM offers prospective candidates the opportunity to lead a well-respected museum in strong financial health to its next level of success.
The Connecticut Aeronautical Historical Association, established in 1959, owns and operates The New England Air Museum, a 501(c) (3) organization located in Windsor Locks, Conn. Governed by a 23-member board of directors, NEAM has a budget of $1.5 million, employs four full-time and 20 part-time employees, and is supported by more than 160 volunteers.
With a collection of more than 100 aircraft, NEAM is the largest aviation museum in the region and serves approximately 55,000 visitors each year. Its three key programs are Formal Education programs, Museum Visits and Events, and Restoration and Preservation. Additionally, NEAM holds one of the most extensive aviation archives in the Northeast.
Effectively leading NEAM's staff and managing important relationships with its board, volunteers, members, funders, public officials and other stakeholders are clear priorities for the new executive director. The museum's next leader will have the opportunity to build on the existing programs to ensure relevancy and value to future generations of visitors. The executive director will also be evaluated on his/her ability to serve as a motivating and effective public spokesperson for NEAM, while broadening its visibility, impact, effectiveness and financial support.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a skilled and experienced leader with a passion for aviation history. He or she is a team player who can motivate and inspire staff, volunteers, board and stakeholders.
Key knowledge, skills and attributes:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years' experience as an executive director or senior administrator with proven record of success.
- Respectful, inclusive and effective leader and developer of staff and teams
- Strategic planner; problem solver and creative risk taker
- Skilled fundraiser
- Accomplished general manager and administrator
- Financial acumen and discipline
- Passionate spokesperson and communicator
- Flexible with a sense of humor
- Other desirable skills and attributes: passion for the story of aviation.