Job Title: Executive Director : Advocacy, Communications, and Policy - External Relations Location: New York
The mission of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world. IAVI works with a variety of partners to reach this goal, through research and development (R&D), education and policy efforts. We engage with governments, international agencies, the private sector, community based organizations and others to promote appropriate public policies.
The Executive Director ACP will play a key role in the External Relations Department and provide strategic oversight over IAVIs Advocacy, Policy and Communications functions . The postholder will work closely with the Vice President : External Relations to ensure that AIDS vaccines remain high on policy agendas, and that IAVI has a high profile as key player in AIDS vaccine R & D. The ED will play a key role in guiding and contributing to IAVIs analysis and advocacy/policy recommendations as s/he implements a comprehensive advocacy strategy and develops both public policy briefs and a global communication strategy in support of IAVI and the wider HIV vaccines field. A key requirement for this position will be the ability to partner effectively and work collaboratively with all stakeholders to help achieve consensus on key advocacy, policy and communication issues.
The three areas of Advocacy, Policy and Communication are envisioned as working closely together and leveraging off each other to ensure a coherent delivery of IAVIs messaging and position to a variety of stakeholders
Strategic planning and work planning
- Working with the VP: ER provide active and effective leadership to the policy and advocacy , and communications teams ( including IAVI Reports )
- Provide a strong contribution to External relations strategic review, strategic planning, and work planning
- Lead ACP in delivering on effective strategic, and operational plans .
Management and Representation
- Provide management oversight to the Director Policy and Advocacy, and the Director Communications , their programs and budgets.
- Represent IAVI externally and ensure that IAVI continues to be positioned as a leading HIV/AIDS NPT / PDP with a strong technical and policy contribution to be made within international debate
- Develop and maintain strong and effective working relations with policy makers, journalists and partner organizations.
- Play an active role on the External Relations Management Team , supporting the VP: ER in providing direction and oversight to the department.
- Working with the VP ; External Relations and the Director Communications develop and review the IAVI Communications and Media strategies and drive forward these strategies within IAVI.
Advocacy and Policy
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders in the media and communications field, and represent IAVI in key forums to build its reputation as a leading HIV/AIDS/ R& D organization.
- Work closely with other players in AIDS vaccine research to coordinate communications on AIDS vaccine developments and be mutually supportive of messaging on issues affecting the field
- Work with key media globally to position IAVI in a positive light and to get increased coverage of IAVIs achievements, issues and positions.
- Oversee a successful and respected publications program, which produces periodicals, reports, newsletters and organizational materials. Provide advice and services to other IAVI programs to make sure that the organization communicates with one voice and a consistent set of messages.
- Further refine IAVIs internet and social media presence and focus the use of interactive media to build partnerships and communicate with stakeholders and the public.
- Work closely with the Director Communications, the VP : ER and the CEO to ensure strong and effective internal communications across IAVI.
- Work with the VP: ER to develop IAVIs overall capacity to create a strong and supportive policy environment for AIDS Vaccine R & D.
- Work with the Director Policy and Advocacy to facilitate the planning, execution, and monitoring of a highly coherent global advocacy and policy program for IAVI that speaks to the main policy issues in the field.
- Establish relationships with policy makers and represent IAVI in high level meetings
- Build relationships with international and national agencies working within the policy and advocacy areas to build credibility for IAVI and support for AIDS vaccine research.
- Work collaboratively with key staff to further IAVI's global advocacy goals, including establishing and maintaining partnerships with key political and global health leaders across the world.
- Identify and support research designed to inform the development of appropriate public policies and then ensure that these research findings are translated into advocacy for action.
- Represent and convey IAVIs policy approach in discussions with a wide range of interlocutors, including senior policy makers, government officials - in particular members of Congress and Hill staff and academics.
- Monitor the impact of public policy changes.
- Develop close working relations with policy , communications and advocacy functions in Europe , Africa and India and ensure a collaborative and cohesive approach to strategy, planning and implementation .
- Develop strong relationship with R & D and ensure a smooth flow of information
Other Management Responsibilities
- Review and authorize as appropriate new contracts, and reports pertaining to the work of ACP
- Maintain management oversight of all ACP work funded by restricted funding in particular by USAID, and ensure accurate and effective reporting, planning and budget management
- Ensure the effective coordination of the three teams to maximize opportunities offered by an integrated department.
- Deputize for the VP : ER as required
- Other responsibilities as requested by the VP: ER
Philanthropy Careers - 13 months ago