The FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN - NETWORK installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains telecommunications products and equipment that TDS sells and leases (Key Systems, PBX, Centrex Systems, and/or other business systems). Performs work associated with splicing and maintaining outside plant facilities and equipment. Installs, splices, repairs, and maintains aerial, buried, and/or underground fiber optic and copper cable. Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of telecommunications.
Has direct, face-to-face contact with our customers and is expected to be proactive with the sales of TDS services and products. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video/CATV/DBS, Internet, and/or high speed networks. Exceeds customer expectations by performing extraordinary customer service, identifying customer needs, and providing them with communications solutions. Understands how to use and demonstrate TDS products and seeks sales opportunities while educating the customer. Products & services include (but are not limited to): Local Service, Central Office Services, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes), Voice Mail, Audio and/or Video Conferencing and Non-regulated CPE.
May be responsible for performing varied or additional duties to meet demands of TDS which may include duties of other Field Services Technician positions.
- Installs, troubleshoots, tests, splices, repairs, and maintains telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other TDS products & services for new and existing customers. Installs, configures, maintains, and repairs Key Systems, PBX, Centrex Systems, and other business systems such as fiber terminals, ISPs, ISDN, DSL, T-1s, and/or DS3s (carriers, paging, and wireless). Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies
and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in our exchange area. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to 'trouble' dispatches.
- Provides high level support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells TDS products and services to customers.
- Performs project management of the installation of systems and performs related functions as requested by supervisor.
- Associate degree (or higher) with 2+ years basic technical telecommunications experience -OR- 4+ years technical experience with telecommunications products and/or services -OR- 2+ years experience performing field technician work for TDS.
- 6+ months of basic fiber optic and/or copper cable splicing and repair, installation and repair or switch training.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license
- Requires an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/CATV/DBS Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Key Systems/PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, Subscriber CXR Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and CD-ROMs.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
As a part of your total compensation, TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. Here is a sample of what we have to offer for full-time employees.
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance Eligible Immediately
Paid Time Off:
Vacation, Personal Time, Sick Time, and Holidays
401K Eligible Immediately, Pension, and Flexible Spending Accounts
Education Assistance, Telephone and Internet Concessions
Extensive Training Program, Recognition Programs, Cell Phone Allowance and Mileage Reimbursement
Employment at TDS is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. EEO/AAP Employer.
TDS - 30+ days ago
As the eighth largest telecom provider in the U.S., TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS®) connects people with broadband Internet, phone a...