Organization: The Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Houston Zoo is currently accepting applications for: Facilities/Maintenance Manager
TO APPLY - Please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/careers and complete the online application process. Please attach a resume to your application.
Supervises and coordinates the daily activities of personnel engaged in light construction, installation, repair and maintenance. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and comply with the policy on driving
- Supervises a crew engaged in light construction, installation, repair, and general maintenance activities.
- Coordinates and monitors status of work orders; estimates, requests, and purchases materials and equipment needed for work assignments; and estimates labor costs.
- Establishes work assignments and schedules, supervises crews work activities, and ensures crew safety.
- Compiles, prepares and submits required reports.
- Works with the animal staff to co-coordinate projects and ensure that staff is prepared when projects are on-going in their area.
- Responds to emergencies in a timely and efficient manner.
- Works with the special events department to co-coordinate required needs for events.
- Inspects quality of work performed by crews and prepares reports concerning the work.
- Assists with the hiring, selection, evaluation and training of crewmembers, and for establishing work standards and procedures and in evaluating results.
- Oversees inspection and maintenance of work vehicles and equipment, including lubrication and washing.
- Observes safety regulations and ensures that field crews do the same.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, liberal arts or construction or closely related area of study is highly desirable. Strong administrative skills, excellent customer service and construction background required.
Five years of experience in facilities maintenance, construction management is required. Experience in purchasing and receiving is also highly desirable
Supervises a staff of approximately twenty persons.
The position involves considerable physical exertion, such as extensive walking, bedding, stooping and regular climbing of ladders, lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time.
The Houston Zoo is located on a 55 acre campus and is open 365 days a year. The amount of time working indoors versus outdoors, weekends and holidays will vary with the times of year and based on operational needs. Outdoor work environments are exposed to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpredictable weather conditions.
Requires heavy public contact requiring considerable interpersonal skill, routine interaction with the public and with donors, members requiring a high degree of appreciation of customer service. Requires attention to detail and a concern for public comfort through providing a clean and pleasant environment for both zoo guests and staff.
Association of Zoos and Aquariums - 13 months ago