This employment opportunity is with the Physical Plant at the Santian Correctional Institution in Salem. This recruitment will be used to establish a hiring list of qualified candidates .
This position is represented by American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
Duties & Responsibilities
The incumbent provides maintenance, repair and construction needs with assistance from inmate workers and performs special maintenance projects and routine preventive maintenance of all institution buildings and equipment. Major duties:
Qualifications & Desired Attributes
- directs, instructs, and coordinates inmate work crews who perform a wide variety of building trades in the completion of tasks assigned by supervisors for the repair and maintenance of the Institution physical plant; is responsible for completing assigned service work orders and for performing preventive maintenance scheduled through the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); assists and supports other trades staff in the completion of work assignments, performs maintenance/repair tasks in areas where inmates are prohibited; supervises inmate work crews during the absence of the assigned inmate supervisor, or as assigned by management supervisor;
- Carpentry: maintains and repairs institution physical plant and grounds; erects scaffolding; repairs, replacement, and installation of concrete sidewalks, curbs, and pads; the repair, replacement, and installation of floor and ceiling tile, doors, cabinets, bulletin boards, mirrors, or any tasks that require additional staff assistance for completion;
- Electrical: replaces electrical fixture lamps, moving equipment, and provides assistance in the completion of tasks limited to those that do not require an electrical license;
- Lock Repair and Maintenance: performs maintenance/repair of the mechanical components of locks and/or locking systems and doors;
- Painting: performs painting of interior and exterior walls, floors and equipment;
- Plumbing: performs maintenance/repair tasks that do not require licensing or special certifications.
- Grounds Maintenance: repairs and maintains outside grounds, buildings, and vehicle fleet, landscaping of outside grounds (excluding the mixing and application of herbicides/pesticides that require a license); upkeep of all outside grounds, pavement areas, repair and maintenance of landscaping equipment, repairs and maintains buildings, and the repair and maintenance of the vehicle fleet; assists and supports other staff in the completion of assigned tasks; and
- General Duties: requests supplies/repair parts and maintains inventory of materials and supplies; maintains manufacturers’ information on equipment and an inventory of equipment; assists supervisor in the planning of projects; may secure quotes and prepare estimates; maintains a tool inventory; instructs and trains inmates on techniques and procedures in the safe and efficient operation of tools and equipment; interviews and recommends hiring of inmate workers; checks and signs inmate attendance time sheets; monitors work and shop areas for cleanliness and a safe working environment; directs work crews in cleaning; performs various projects and/or tasks as assigned by management.
Your application materials will be reviewed to verify that you:
This position requires a valid driver's license .
- have two years of a) general building maintenance; b) carpentry; c) electrical; d) mechanical; e) painting; or f) plastering experience.
A journeyman's license card in any of the above trades will substitute for this experience. Be sure to attach a copy of your journeyman's license card to your application.
Preference will be given to applicants with an Oregon Limited Maintenance Electrician (LME) license. A copy of your license must be attached to your application to receive credit.
In the "Work Experience " section of your electronic application, clearly describe your experience as it relates to these qualifications. Failure to provide this information may result in eliminating your application from further consideration. A resume' will not replace the "Work Experience " section of the application.
You must have a valid e-mail address to apply for jobs with the State of Oregon.
All communication regarding your application and status are done by e-mail. If you do not currently have an e-mail address and do not know where to go to get one, please refer to our Applicant E-Recruit FAQ's web page. Click on the link below to go directly to question #14 to view several internet providers where you can get a free e-mail account. The State of Oregon does not endorse any particular provider.
Applicant E-Recruit FAQ's
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach required documents to your electronic application.
If you have application login problems, get an error message during the application process, or are experiencing other technical (computer related) difficulties, please call the NEOGOV help line for assistance at 1-877-204-4442.
Pay and benefits on all announcements may change without notice. For budgetary reasons, the State of Oregon requires employees to take unpaid furlough days during the 2011-2013 biennium. The incumbent to this position may be required to take a prorated number of unpaid furlough days during the biennium, depending on the number of furlough days established and the date of hire.
Application Reference Number: DOC13-0331OC
The successful candidate to this position will be subject to a Criminal Records Check.
Veterans Preference Information
Employee Benefits with the Department of Corrections
Learn more about the Oregon Accountability Model
Visit www.odocjobs.com Recruitment Web Page
Oregon Prisons Map with links to each Facility
Questions may be emailed to
Oregon Department of Corrections
ATTN: Rhonda Crawford
- State Directories
- Agencies A to Z
- Oregon Administrative Rules
- Oregon Revised Statutes
- About Oregon.gov
Web Site Links
State of Oregon
- 2 years ago - save job