Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Facility Manager
Budget Title: Student Union Assistant Director
State Professional Position
Department: Student Activities-Facility
State Line#: 38086
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $44, 000 - $46, 000
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree. In lieu of degree, a combination of full time related experience, military experience, education, or any thereof totaling four years may be considered. Three years of full time supervisory staff experience in any of the following industries: facilities management, customer service, hotel management, student activities, or event/planning management.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's Degree. Staff supervision (professional, student and part-time staff, scheduling staff, creating training programs). Safety and Security (managing tenant and guest response to environmental emergencies and hazards, managing key inventory/access control systems). Event Production (setups, breakdowns, usage reports, risk management, event management). Prior experience working in a college setting. Problem Solving (goal setting and strategic problem solving, analyzing and improving efficiency of operations, prioritizing workloads, breaking down and solving complex operational problems). Computer skills in the following areas: facility scheduling programs/R25, Google Apps for Education, and Microsoft Office.
Brief Description of Duties: The Facility Manager is responsible for managing all evening and nighttime programs, activities, and services held in the Student Activities Center and Stony Brook Union. Combined, these two centers host an average 19,000 events annually which require frequent venue setups and event support. The chosen candidate will also serve as the departmental point-person for communicating with organizations, Campus Operations and Maintenance, University Police, Environmental Health and Safety, Grounds Department, and other contracted services during the hours that the facilities are in operation. The Facility Manager will provide the supervision of staff and is responsible for an array of technical support services for campus activities (e.g. events production), including: coordinating room set ups, security of the facilities, audio-visual/equipment use, maintenance and custodial matters, sound and lighting, and staging. The Facility Manager will also be responsible for any emergency procedures including fire and safety evacuation protocols.
- Manage and assume responsibility for the total functioning of the Student Activities Center and Stony Brook Union to ensure smooth and safe day and night operations.
- Responsible for maintenance and custodial, risk management, emergency fire and safety procedures, security systems, key/access control, and information services. Open and close the facility as required.
- Manage and assume responsibility for all day and night programs, activities, and related services from an events management perspective, including room set-up and break-down, clean-up, equipment use, audio-visual needs, security, and room condition.
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate Facility Operations' professional, graduate and student staff.
- Serve as the departmental point person for communicating with Physical Plant, University Police, Environmental Health and Safety, Grounds Department, and other contracted services.
- Coordinate and oversee emergency, fire, and safety evacuation protocols and address crises in an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Prepare daily logs and reports highlighting day and night operations, facility usage, event operations procedures, data collection and analysis, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week, night and weekend work required. Fall and Spring Semesters: Wednesday to Saturday 2:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m . Summer and Intercession : Wednesday to Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Occasional travel may be required to local vendors and conferences. FLSA exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University - 21 months ago