Position Title: Family Support Worker
Specialty / Program Model: Healthy Families Aurora/Parents Too Soon
Healthy Families America
Center / Location: Aurora
Hours / Schedule M-F Some Saturdays
Reports To: Program Coordinator
Required Fluency: English and Spanish
Required Education Level: Bachelor ‘s degree in Social Services, Early Childhood Development or Equivalent
The mission of Family Focus is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families in and with their communities. Family Focus offers innovative, community-based programs that help parents, grandparents, foster parents, and adoptive parents gain confidence and competence as the primary educators of their children. Family Focus has eight centers throughout the Chicago area. These centers are models for family support programs throughout the nation.
Provides home visiting and parent education services to assigned families through utilizing the Family Support principles and required program model. Works as part of a team and in partnership with parents to enhance the overall development of children and families in the program.
Family Focus is an equal opportunity employer.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
• Engage, and establish on-going communication with participants for purposes of advocacy, education and general information sharing through phone calls, mailing, home visits or center based meetings.
• Assist in recruiting eligible families for home visiting program and maintain caseload.
• Provide home and center based services including parent/child interaction activities to families.
• Provide support, education, and information on relevant topics to including child development, parenting, and family education through home and center-based services.
• Follows curriculum guidelines along with requirements from the funding partner.
• Conducts developmental screening, develops an Individual Family Service plan, and supports the family in reaching their identified goals.
• Prepare and submit appropriate documentation and reports, maintain client records in accordance to professional standards and funder requirements.
• Meet regularly with supervisor and team, present case material and request information.
• Develop collaborations, represent organization, and attend trainings as requested.
• Assist in planning and facilitating other center-based activities such as fundraising, family activities, groups, etc.
• Organized, and facilitate 40 group session a year
• Plan and organized 3 educational outings during the summer
• To implement a group evaluation at the end of each quarter
• To maintain ongoing communication with drivers, child care workers, and volunteers to make sure they keep the safety of the program participants all the time.
• Establish and maintain ongoing communication with program participants to encourage group attendance, through phone calls, emails or mailings.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, social work, or equivalent in experience.
• Must be willing to complete required trainings in program model, family support, CPR/First Aid, and other areas as mandated by funder.
• Three years paid or volunteer experience working with families and children.
• Requires extensive local travel and some evening and weekend hours. Must have access to reliable and efficient transportation that will allow for the completion of caseload responsibility.
• Knowledge of normal fetal and child growth/development and parent-child relationships.
• Ability to work in a team to develop and carryout an integrated program.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly in writing.
• Be self-directed, able to accomplish tasks with minimum supervision, yet open to feedback.
• Computer skills including word processing, internet research, and spreadsheets.
• Experience in working with culturally diverse communities and families with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
• Knowledge and understanding of the community.
• Submit to and clear a background check.
Additional Center-Specific Responsibilities:
• Perform other ditties as assigned