Bicycle sharing is a sustainable, healthy, and community-based transport option that enhances urban livability and mobility. Capital Bikeshare currently operates with over 300 stations and 2600 bikes in Washington, DC, the City of Alexandria, VA, Arlington County, VA and Montgomery County, MD with system expansion planned in all jurisdictions in 2014.
Through contracts with the Washington DC Department of Transportation (DDOT), the City of Alexandria, VA , Arlington County VA, & Montgomery County, MD, Alta Bicycle Share is responsible for all “on the ground” aspects of Capital Bikeshare, including but not limited to: station and bike building and deployment, station and bike repair and maintenance, and bicycle redistribution.
Overview of Position:
Capital Bikeshare is seeking Field Bike Technicians to help with all aspects of field bicycle and station maintenance, cleaning, and repair throughout the city using bicycle trailers. Training on technical and unique aspects of CaBi bikes will be provided. You'll be a part of a groundbreaking team that focuses on the maintenance of an innovative bicycle transportation system, with emphasis on building strong public relationships while exceeding the highest standards for service.
Key Aspects of Position:
Work environment: Work environment varies, and will include the following:
- Interact with customers and potential customers in public—represent Capital Bikeshare and Alta Bicycle Share responsibly and effectively
- Inspect and evaluate bicycles and bikeshare stations for safety, function, and cleanliness
- Perform routine bicycle maintenance and cleaning, and minor repairs as necessary
- Identify and report bicycles in need of in-house repair
- Perform routine station maintenance and repairs as necessary
- Identify, report, and resolve, if possible, all station malfunctions and/or problems
- Use communication and computer technology effectively to record all maintenance/repair activity
- Assist with station assembly and installation as necessary/assigned
- Retrieve bicycles tagged for in-house repair
- Receive training in all aspects of Capital Bikeshare operations, including:
- Bicycle maintenance and repair
- Station technology (hardware and software), maintenance and repair
- Basic customer service and public relations
- Other duties as necessary/assigned
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Alta Bicycle Share’s Mission.
- Riding a bicycle and/or driving a light truck alone or with other staff, to and among bike share station locations and other locations as necessary
- Industrial facility with indoor and outdoor work areas
- Exposure to varying weather conditions during all 4 seasons as this is a year-round position.
Required Skills and Experience:
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Valid driver’s license
- Mechanical and technical aptitude
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to be both self-directed and to work well in a collaborative team environment
- Comfortable riding a bicycle in city traffic.
- Comfortable in a fast paced, warehouse/shop environment the individual can lift up to 50 lbs; cycle up to 10 miles per day in urban areas; stoop, bend, and stand for long periods
- Willingness and ability to work off hours and/or weekends
- Experience with computer network wiring and/or solar panel construction/wiring a plus
- Excitement and interest in bike sharing a must.
Alta Bicycle Share is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Previous bicycle mechanic experience is preferred, but not required
- Experience in construction, fabrication, or other similar trade a plus
- Experience with hand, air and power tools a plus
Alta Bicycle Share is a drug-free workplace.
Alta - 7 months ago
copy to clipboard