GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reviews alpha census daily and visits in-house patients; collects estimated patient liable amounts; works closely with outside agencies to ensure patient coverage.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Visit all self-paying patients in-house
Provide estimates to patients and/or physicians as requested
Generate insurance verification and precertification reports daily and follow up with case management and insurance verification departments as appropriate
Post ER and Patient Access deposits into PA system
Contact insurance companies for patient benefits and precertification requirements
Review alpha census daily for visits exceeding the original length of precertification and work closely with utilization review for concurrent certification
Assist patients with payment arrangements and charity applications
Work closely with outside agencies in helping patients apply for Medicaid and state aid
Maintain insurance files regarding updates and changes
Forward problems or concerns to Patient Access Manager
Enter pertinent insurance information into CPCS and prorate account
Enter notes into the collections system for all patient encounters
Maintain professional image and implement excellent customer service to customers
Complete financial analysis and collect estimated patient liabilities
Follow up with patients for necessary signatures if they were incomplete at time of hospitalization
Consistently receive and receipt payments from patients for hospital services in accordance with internal cash control procedures
Interact with Patient Account Services Insurance Verification Department in establishing up-front payment arrangements with patients
Attends in-service presentations, and completes mandatory education week, including but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA standards.
Demonstrates knowledge of occurrence reporting system and utilizes system to report potential patient safety issues.
Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
- Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in PC applications as required
- Policies & Procedures - demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
- Basic skills - able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately
- High school diploma or GED required
- At least one year of collections experience required
- Relevant education may substitute experience requirement
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 25 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
HCA Inc - 6 months ago
Bayshore Medical Center is the only hospital in Pasadena with both Cycle II Chest Pain Accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers...