Emerson College Office of Budget and Planning ( OBP ) seeks a highly skilled Financial and Budget Analyst to perform a number of technical functions, including budget development, advanced fiscal analysis, financial modeling, report development, projections and budget status analysis for the institution at various levels (i.e. organizational, program, cost center and fund level).
The incumbent working under general direction will perform a variety of functions in support of the College budgets, including preparation of analysis for campus resource planning and a variety of duties in support of campus budget operations and customer service to College budget units.
Primary Duties, Responsibilites, and Tasks
Resource Planning and Analysis
• Analysis: Performs and compiles complex financial and budget analysis, modeling and projections using a variety of tools and methodologies. Provides analysis for and participate in the preparation of budgets and related documents, including operating, capital, auxiliary and all funds, budgets and reports. Prepares detailed budget reporting in various formats as needed in support of budgetary analysis and special projects. Prepares analysis for campus administrators when creating academic planning budget and other presentations. Carry out special studies of budget status, evaluate performance and provide information for accounting and statistical reports at various fund, group or revenue levels.
• Reporting Management: Compiles data and prepares reports required by campus managers for academic and budgetary planning. Identifies campus-wide information needs and institutional sources of data. Develops databases and enterprise information reports to facilitate planning and decision-making. Responsible for identification of relevant and usable data sources, selecting appropriate methods of data collection and data analysis, and reporting of conclusions, implications and recommendations.
• Monitoring: Responsible for developing and tracking operating budgets, analyzing, interpreting, reporting and making recommendations on a broad range of financial and operating issues. Prepares analysis and communication of complex resource issues. Develops, formulates and recommends funding scenarios to address concerns and facilitate resolution. Assesses and summarizes key issues related to budgets, year-end results, key drivers for revenue and expense.
• Control: Ensures financial budget control, manages and updates key control mechanisms, including personnel budget control through business process management.
• Other: Develops cash-flow projections for self-supporting and/or fee-funded activities. Compiles ad hoc reports and information as needed.
• Manages day to day unit budget related operating activity requests. Manage information, data and updates to complex budget multi-year tracking and projection models with great attention to detail, accuracy and supporting documentation.
• Utilizes high level of technical skills with computer based systems and enterprise financial systems to research, compile information, conduct detailed comparative analysis and develop management reports.
• Reviews funding requests and prepares draft budget allocation communications to College budget units ensuring appropriate supporting documentation and organizational systems are in place.
• Provides support to the Manager as needed. Records budget adjustment entries into the campus’ current and permanent operating budgets. Creates periodic status reports of account balances.
• Provides assistance to campus units on budgetary, fiscal and student fee issues, including resolving budgetary problems and understanding or applying budget policies.
• Assists with the activities in support of the Budget and Staffing System, as needed.
• Participates as representative of OBP in technology systems and applications teams.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business related field and 3-5 years of experience directly related to higher education or 5-8 years of experience in corporate budget development with applied advanced fiscal analysis and analytical techniques, and execution at university/company wide level or in a large and complex program area. Advanced degree preferred.
The ideal candidates will possess the following skills and experience:
• Demonstrated skill in advanced fiscal analysis, revenue and expenditure projections, and development of what if scenarios and sophisticated data modeling.
• Experience with enterprise budget and financial information systems (Banner, Oracle, PS), as well as reporting tools (Cognos, Hyperion, Brio).
• Experience with university/corporate budget processes and budget development
• Demonstrated high level of technical skills with computer based systems, data compilation, and development of complex Access databases and strong knowledge of enterprise financial systems.
• Driven by project timelines; ability to set priorities and to work comfortably in a fast-paced, fluid, deadline driven environment with multiple demands while providing accurate information and follow through to completion of projects assigned.
• Excellent oral presentation, written communication, organizational skills and attention to customer service.
Preferred/Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
Required Prior Work Experience
3-5 years of experience directly related to higher education or 5-8 years of experience in corporate budget development with applied advanced fiscal analysis and analytical techniques, and execution at university/company wide level or in a large and complex program area.
Emerson College - 15 months ago