First 5 San Mateo County is seeking an experienced, hard working and productive Financial Analyst who has the ability to perform a wide-variety of complex financial and analytical activities in support of our mission. This position located at 1700 South El Camino Real, Suite 405 San Mateo, CA 94402 will perform a wide variety of highly complex analytical and administrative support activities.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Prepare and produce information and serve as lead contact First 5 annual audit.
- Plan, coordinate and develop materials for First 5 Commission and Committees.
- Perform complex payroll related tasks and assist the Executive Director on personnel related matters.
- Collaborate with First 5 staff, county personnel and other First 5 agency personnel.
- Analyze, organize, and condense a wide variety of moderate to complex budgetary issues and subject matter into clear and concise automated and written materials, and convert general, high-level direction into specific and detailed analysis and reports.
- Perform complex mathematical and statistical calculations accurately, including preparation of various types of nested and linked spreadsheets, budget reports, charts, tables and graphs to illustrate findings.
- Communicate concisely and effectively both orally and in writing, and to summarize and clearly convey complex financial structures, concepts, formulas and budgetary relationships to a non-technical audience/readership in staff reports, worksheets, instructions, and formal and informal presentations.
- Work with general direction and minimal supervision, budgeting time wisely to meet deadlines and manage work to existing project schedules.
First 5 San Mateo County is committed to supporting a system of early intervention and prevention services in San Mateo County that prepare children to succeed in school and life. Proposition 10, the “California Children and Families Act of 1998,” imposed an excise tax on tobacco products and authorized Counties to establish Commissions to allocate these funds at the local level. Ordinance #03889 was adopted by the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors on March 9, 1999, creating the nine-member Commission now known as First 5 San Mateo County. For more information about First 5 San Mateo County, visit our website at www.first5sanmateo.org .
NOTE: This position is unclassified, at will, and is not covered by the San Mateo County Civil Service Rules.
Examples Of Duties:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist and manage annual budgets, including quarterly reconciliations.
- Oversee fiscal monitoring of grantee funding contracts and quarterly invoices.
- Manage financial data input and outflow to ensure accuracy with county systems.
- Prepare, produce and interpret detailed monthly financial statements and reports.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
Knowledge of: Basic principles and practices of the County operations and its administration and organization; sources and availability of information; methods of report presentation as it relates to assigned work unit; principles of financial administration, including public budgeting and reporting; and principles and practices of organizational analysis and human resource planning.
Skills/Ability to: Learn the Federal, State and local regulations and guidelines related to assigned duties; analyze a wide variety of moderate to complex administrative/operational problems and make effective operational and/or procedural recommendations; prepare effective and complete staff reports and make presentations; and perform the full range of the assigned duties under minimal supervision.
Anyone may apply. This position is unclassified and is not covered by the San Mateo County Civil Service Rules. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form .
Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position based solely on the information provided in the application documents. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/hr/jobs to apply.
Apply immediately. Materials will be screened as they are received and the department will contact qualified candidates for an interview.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: April 11, 2013
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Analyst: Kelly Yip Hoang (032913) (Management Analyst I/II/III –
County of San Mateo - 8 months ago