The Counselor acts as a trusted advisor by providing caring, professional financial counseling and education services that enable clients to resolve financial challenges, achieve economic security and successfully reach their financial goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
At its inception, this position is created in support of The Goizueta Foundation’s grant to establish a Center of Excellence for Spanish Language Services. As such, this position will have responsibility for delivery of financial counseling, coaching, advisement, outreach and education services aimed at helping low- to moderate-income Hispanic families build financial capability over time.
Areas of Specialization :
Counselor’s primary focus will include providing counseling, coaching, advisement and education to low and moderate-income Hispanic immigrants with the goal of improving financial capability. Focus areas will include budgeting, savings, credit, affordable housing, and financial literacy. Counseling may be delivered in-person at the Center and telephonically. Long-term coaching/advisement and documenting progress on client’s achievement of goals over time will be a central component of this work.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must have an understanding of the financial challenges faced by both first and second/third generation Hispanic immigrants.
- Must have an understanding of consumer credit, mortgage, and financial issues and actively keep current on such issues through participation in internal and external training, reviewing materials distributed by the agency, and self-directed learning opportunities outside of work (i.e., listening to consumer oriented radio talk shows, reading the business section of the newspaper or other financially oriented publications).
- General computer literacy, excellent typing skills, and working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, the Internet and email usage is required.
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with clients through active listening, empathy, follow-through, desire to see others succeed
- Ability to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of CredAbility’s policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and/or weekends.
- Must have the ability to travel within the local area.
- Must have satisfactory credit and pass a criminal background check.
Language Skills :
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university is required.
- Two years of financial/credit/mortgage experience is required.
- Experience providing longer-term services to the Center’s target population is preferred. A Master’s degree with a demonstrated ability to perform the stated duties gained through academic coursework/previous work experience will be accepted in lieu of two years of experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations :
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English, with the ability to read, write and speak in both languages.
- Ability to write and speak clearly and directly, adhering to commonly accepted rules of grammar.
- Ability to respond quickly in verbal and written form to clients, managers, peers, clients, partners, etc.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to explain complex concepts in written and in verbal form.
- Reasonable ability to understand and interpret both written and verbal subtext. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Must have the proven ability to make clear and effective oral presentations.
- Must also have very strong writing skills including the ability to gather, edit, and consolidate materials and prepare clear, concise, and accurate reports.
Must pass Books 1-7 of the NFCC’s certification program, thereby becoming a Certified Consumer Credit Counselor, within 30 days of hire by CredAbility. Must maintain certification through obtaining PDU’s. PDU’s must be reported to the NFCC annually. When necessary, must pass and maintain special state or other industry specific licensing and certifications.
Established in 1964, CredAbility is a nonprofit 501(c)3 community service agency. We provide confidential budget counseling, money...