Under immediate supervision, performs in a training capacity learning and participating in the general functions and duties of a beginning level fire/rescue position; employee remains in a training capacity until satisfactory completion of all academic and performance requirements as established by state law and regulations of the City's Fire/Rescue Department; position works directly under the Fire/Rescue Training Officer for initial period and may work eight hour shifts during such training; performs related work as required.
Click here to review the Fire/Rescue Trainee recruitment packet for additional information. (Mandatory Documentation explained)
Click here to review the Greenville Fire/Rescue "Why I Chose Fire" video.
Click here to review the Study Guide to help you prepare for the written test.
Examples of Duties:
• Receives intensive classroom and field training in both firefighting and rescue operations;
• Attends training in all phases of rescue work for the purpose of providing basic life support treatment services as required;
• Attends training in the operation and maintenance of a rescue vehicle;
• Attends training in all phases of firefighting, hose and ladder, salvage rescue, location of fire alarm boxes, hydrants, fire/rescue station and apparatus maintenance;
• Participates as a member of both a firefighting and rescue unit;
• Responds to actual fire/rescue calls;
• Operates fire/rescue communications equipment;
• Performs grounds maintenance and other station house maintenance duties;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED required.
• No specific experience requirements.
All applicants must:
• Be at least 18 years of age;
• Have a valid driver's license and a safe driving record;
• Be a United States citizen or a non-citizen who can provide proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States;
• Be of good moral character;
• Possess the mental, physical, and medical health to perform the duties of a Fire/Rescue Trainee;
• Be highly motivated with an interest in the Fire/Rescue field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• learn and apply all phases of fire/rescue work, station maintenance, and other required tasks performed by a fire/rescue employee;
• establish and maintain effective working relationships as a member of a firefighting and rescue unit;
• accept rigid fire/rescue discipline and operational routine;
• communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• perform work requiring good physical and mental condition.
• Must possess and maintain a valid, current N.C. driver's license that is not revoked, suspended, or subject to limited restoration or conditional operation privileges.
• Must have and maintain an acceptable driving record.
• Incumbent must complete all academic and classroom training as prescribed by the state and City fire/rescue department for a certified Fire/Rescue trainee, as well as to demonstrate satisfactory field performance of required fire/rescue skills before being promoted to position of Fire/Rescue Officer I.
• Incumbent must have a North Carolina Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate at the end of the 12-month probation period; must keep EMT certificate up-to-date.
• Must meet the recommendations of the ECU Human Performance Lab within 12 months from date of employment.
City of Greenville, NC - 13 months ago
Greenville, NC is the 10th largest city in the state of North Carolina and the home of East Carolina University! Located halfway between the...